Variations in Knowledge | Teen Ink

Variations in Knowledge

By RajaviMishra GOLD, Noida, Other
RajaviMishra GOLD, Noida, Other

K
nowledge is the awareness or familiarity gained by experience of a fact . But as the question claims , knowledge cannot be congruent throughout with the availability of facilities like education , research , new generations and new mindsets , it will one or the other day be discarded . A universal principal maybe a myth tomorrow . Take the word discarded – it means to get rid of something since it is no more desired . Tomorrow this word might mean evolution since the orthodox stories are being updated every day , every minute and are being evolved , hence discarded .
So the two areas of knowledge focused by me in this essay are ethics and natural sciences. What is ethics ? Now let me make it very clear that ethics is many times embezzled by people. We talk of following ethical course of action but instead in my context it means same as moral philosophy and way of living. What is natural sciences ? Its nothing but a branch of science which deals with the physical world, e.g. physics, chemistry, geology, biology.
According to my research , Ethics is one of the most flexible area of knowledge due to upcoming generations , their new mindsets , urbanization and new trends , for example – western trend emerging in India. The Evolution of Ethics constructs a conceptual bridge between biology and human behavior. This is accomplished by examining the cultural and biological systems that  inspires the evolution of social rules. This process occurs when biology and culture collide. Ethics is not only the evolution in culture but also in biology as mentioned earlier. This is Bioethics . Bioethics is the study of typically controversial ethics brought about by advances in biology and medicine. It is also moral discernment as it relates to medical policy, practice, and research.
1.      Take an example of technology . In ancient times when technology was not harnessed in any forms , there wasn’t supply of electricity , people had to use pigeons with ringing bells  as there messengers and when paper was made using a primitive and inefficient method people wrote letters . Earlier swords were used in the battlefield but now fully equipped  guns are used. Computers and other machines are now in everyday use. Thanks to technology. However,here comes a contradiction ,  as an old saying goes, “every sword is double-edged”, technology can also destroy old customs and ethics as well, such as the long-gone Japanese tradition of Samurai, its inauguration ceremony and its spirit and dignity. West ushered in guns and  swords, the emblem of Samurai, are no longer powerful and respected. Also technology possesses a threat of hacking , terrorism , wastage of resources etc.
2.      As told by my great grand -father to my grand -father and then to my father , women were not allowed to work before the world war. It only occurred due to French revolution and also in the scene of world war when their hard work was appreciated in the absence of men which displayed a quality of independence. Women have started to work now but in many primitive areas still they are forced to look after families . According to me there should not be any differences between two genders . But in a conversation with people , I came to know that some of them feel that women working part time are acceptable. But women working full time are not able to concentrate on her family and might lead to ignorance of children and other members of the family.

When Gregor Mendel began his investigations of plant genetics in the 1800s, he worked alone — a middle-aged European monk counting peas in the abbey garden. One hundred and fifty years later, modern plant genetics laboratories, like Chelsea Specht's were lot more diverse and employ the latest DNA sequencing techniques. When J.J. Thomson discovered a new particle of matter — the electron — at the turn of the century, his lab equipment mainly consisted of vacuum tubes, magnets, and some simple wiring. One hundred years later, scientists searching for new particles like the Higgs boson use a supercollider — a 17-mile-long machine that costs several billion dollars and will produce data to be analyzed by the most powerful supercomputer in the world. Science has come a long way in the last 150 years!
                         There has been changes and evolution because  people experiment and find out new discoveries .With new technology we are able to either prove our old theories wrong or come out with new theories. Here is a story of a series of major change in natural science.
According to Aristotle, the Earth was the center of the universe. All heavenly bodies, including the moon, were perfect spheres that moved around the Earth with circular motions and the Earth was the only source of imperfection in the universe. Copernicus’  theory that the sun rather than the Earth was the center of all motion had moved the Earth into the realm of heavenly bodies. However, Copernicus's theory went against fundamental beliefs of the time, and therefore was dismissed by most learned people. One of the unacceptable notions was that of the imperfect Earth existing in the realm of the perfect heavens. However in 1609 , Galileo's observations led him to the startling conclusion that the moon is anything but perfect. With his telescope, he noticed small dark spots that had never been seen before on the illuminated part of the moon's surface, along with similar light spots in the dark area. He observed that as time passed, these and other spots changed, either getting lighter and eventually disappearing or getting darker and more distinct. Galileo also observed that the spots all "have a dark part on the side toward the Sun while on the side opposite the Sun they are crowned with brighter borders like shining ridges."

I would just like to conclude by showing the pivotal relation between my two chosen areas of knowledge – ethics and natural sciences by a quotation from Captain Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de Bernières - “It’s a question of science,” said Weber “you cannot alter a scientific fact.” Corelli frowned, “I don’t care about science. It’s an irrelevance. It’s a moral principle you cannot alter, not a scientific fact.”“We disagree.” said Weber amiably “It’s obvious to me that ethics change with the times as science does. Ethics have changed because of the theories of Darwin.”