Should College Be Free | Teen Ink

Should College Be Free

By pretty_eyes BRONZE, Houston, Texas
pretty_eyes BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Science never solves a problem without creating ten more.

Should College Be Free
       College is a place meant for people to get a higher chance of employment or into achieving their dream jobs. When discussed on whether or not college should be free, many agree/disagree and cannot come up with a final decision. Colleges maintain people to find their ways towards a successful career. There are many colleges/universities for people to attend. There are public colleges and then there are private. Public schools tend to be more crowded, and are more affordable than private schools. Some may or may not have what you are looking for, but either ways colleges are a way to make sure you can have at least a one degree for a high chance getting accepted at a job that you are trying to apply to.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
There are several reasons on why college should be free. According to Sara Goldrick-Rab, professor of educational policy studies and sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, she agrees on making college free and available to all who wish to attend. She stated, “It helps students focus on learning rather than working so that they complete degrees faster and having acquired more skills,” this helps with the support of why colleges/universities should be free. This quote sums up that many of those who do wish to attend colleges have to first work on simple jobs to gather the money to pay off the college funds and supplies needed. Now Andrew P. Kelly, resident scholar and the director of the Center on Higher Education Reform at the American Enterprise Institute disagrees with making college free. He stated, “A national push for tuition-free college would strain public budgets even further, leading to shortages rather than increased access.” This quote conveys that Andrew feels that free college will not help those who are ready for college, because most people (ready or not for college)  will want to attend and not give a good chance to the others who have more success into graduating.
We have several ways to actually being able to afford getting into a college. We have financial aids There are two types, gift aids and self-help aids. First, we have scholarships. Scholarships is a grant or method of payment given to support a student's education, but it must be awarded through high grades in high school, or any other achievements. Then we have grants. Grants are a sum of money given for a certain purpose, usually given by the government or any other organization. We also have student loans. Student loans are designed to pay for expenses that the student may need, but you must pay it back in time.
I recently had an interview with a fellow teacher, Ms.Coreathers, from MacArthur 9th grade school. During this interview such questions were asked. What are some occurrences you  think may happen if college were free? To this she replied the following, “People would be out of debt ( if you borrowed money to get in); also more people would attend, only to soon drop out.” There was also another question concerning college. Would you like college to be free, why or why not? To this she replied with, “I believe everyone should experience it, but appreciate it as an opportunity.” This is to prove how people see two sides to this current issue.
Whether or not you agree to have college free, remember that both ways you will be affected. Just keep in mind that college is expensive, but it’s not impossible to not get in. Look for your dream college and do your best to take the opportunity you have chosen. 

Google Images  

College for me
As the days go by, new available jobs are open that do not necessarily require upper-level education. In other words, jobs that do not need a college degree of some sort, will not get you very far in life. There are educational, societal, religious ,and political benefits when it comes to having an upper-level education. On the contrary, not all college degrees are used (depending on your career). Now unless you are as outgoing and brave like Kim Kardashian, choosing her type of career is not something you should depend on. Why be Kim Kardashian, when you could be like Rob Kardashian, who graduated from University of Southern California. He used his college degree to get his business to started on his own sock line, “Arthur George.”  He will have the benefit of always have his college degree to fall back on, just in case his sock line goes down.
We recently interviewed a college dropout and asked her about what her opinions were about towards college and its benefits. She then answered saying,            “College is for everyone, I just didn't know how to manage my time and that made me  feel very stressed. High school is training wheels for college, and that's why it's important to learn to be independent.” This implies that we as students should learn to appreciate the opportunities given to us now, and use them wisely.
Furthermore, many celebrities have college degrees.This shows that they don't just rely on their acting or singing talents to be successful, but on their knowledge as well. Celebrities such as Eva Longoria and Oprah Winfrey; both attended universities, thus making them more likely to stay successful in their future. Many high school athletes say that their physical abilities will get them through life, but will it really? Do you want to end up like Stanley Doughty who trusted his recruiter, but when he experienced an injury, he was gone from the team? Why not be like Michael Jordan, that besides his shoeline and athletic career, he has a degree in geography to fall back on.
Furthermore, it is all up to you to make the right choice. If you want to take the risk in having a simple job, make sure to have some sort of back-up. But if you choose to get a college education, use it for your own advantage, and earn that successful career path.

There are many debates on whether or not college should be free. This topic has been discussed for years and can make a huge impact on many countries. I hope that people can make a smart decision on this topic. Everyone has a right to make a choice.