Acts of Bravery | Teen Ink

Acts of Bravery

January 14, 2016
By Anonymous

What would you do if you were faced with a fire breathing dragon? Would you run or would you be brave and fight the monster? A good example of bravery is seen in Richard Connell’s short story, “The Most Dangerous Game,” where a young marooned hunter, Sanger Rainsford, proves his bravery by fighting the maniac General Zaroff. Through his actions, speech, and other character's reactions, we can tell that Rainsford is one fearless fellow.
To start with, Saner Rainsford proves to be brave by his action. Throughout the story he keeps proving his bravery by making some insane actions. One example is when he gets thrown overboard and instead of swimming back towards the yacht, the story reads, ¨Rainsford remembered the shots. They had come from the right, and doggedly he swam in that direction,” (Connell 15). We do not expect that as we read, and it shocks us that Rainsford takes the risk to swim towards the gunshots. His action is proven to be brave, because he takes a risk that could cost him his life. This example and others show that he is not afraid to take risks, that involve insane courageous actions.  


Furthermore, Rainsford proves his fearlessness through other characters reactions. The story shows us one great example, when Rainsford risks jumping into the sea, and makes Zaroff think that he died. The story proves this when it reads, “Twenty feet below him the sea rumbled and hissed. Rainsford hesitated. He heard the hounds. Than he leaped far into the sea…” “When the general and his pack reached the place by sea, the Cossack stopped. For some minutes he stood regarding the blue-green expanse of water. He shrugged his shoulders.” (27). This shows that by making this brave decision of bravery made the general think he was dead. We can see that bravery consists of not only being brave by smart. 


Lastly, Rainsford demonstrates another act of bravery through his speech. After Rainsford fools the general into thinking that he had died, he returns and faces the general in his bedroom. “‘I am still a beast at bay,’ he said, in a low, hoarse voice. ‘Get ready General Zaroff’(28). “Splendid! One of us is to furnish a repast for the hounds. The other will sleep in this very excellent bed. On guard, Rainsford…” (28).  It shows that Rainsford is not afraid to face the general and that in the end he defeats him with his act of bravery. Rainsfords bravery had brought him defeat, because he faced the general with no timidness.


  As you can see, Sanger Rainsford proves his bravery through these many examples. When instead of swimming away from the gunshots he swims toward the gunshots. Through the other characters reactions Rainsford shows that he is very clever, when he jumps into the sea making general Zaroff think that he died. Lastly, he proves his bravery though his speech, when he faces general Zaroff in his bedroom after the game. Rainsford’s strong bravery proves to us that no matter in what situation you are in there is a way out. So if you are stuck in a difficult situation, remember to use the kind of bravery Rainsford used to get through difficulties.


Work Cited List
Connell, Richard. "The Most Dangerous Game" Elements of Literature. 3rd ed. Austin, Tex.: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 2003. 12-25. Print.