Rhea- Queen of the Titans and Cosmos | Teen Ink

Rhea- Queen of the Titans and Cosmos

By BookNerd464 PLATINUM, Neenah, Wisconsin
BookNerd464 PLATINUM, Neenah, Wisconsin

I am good, but not an angel
I do sin, but I am not the devil
I am pretty, but not beautiful
I do have friends, but I am not the peacemaker

Rhea is queen of the Titans and Cosmos.  She is the goddesses of the fertility of the soil, women and motherhood.  Her name means “ease”, “at ease”, or “flow”.  She is the wife of Cronus (her brother), the mother of Zeus, Demeter, Hera, Hestia, Hades, and Poseidon, and the daughter of Gaia (the Earth) and Uranus (the sky).  Her brothers and sisters are Cronus, Hyperion, Lapetus, Theia, Themis, Mnemosyne, Phoebe and Tethys.

When Zeus was born Rhea hid him and brought him to Crete, where Zeus was protected by Gaia.  Then she tricked her husband into swallowing a stone wrapped up in swaddling clothes because when Cronus was told that one of his children would overcome him he was scared so he thought that eating his children would solve the problem.  When Zeus was older he came to Mount Othrys and as a cupbearer and mixed a potion in his wine and the potion made him vomit up all of his children.  Later Zeus and the Olympians defeated Cronus and the Titans.  The Titans were sent to Tartarus. 

I did an essay on the Titan Rhea because we were doing a gods and godess report in school last year.  I did Rhea specificaly because I named my chicken after her.