Daughter of Invention | Teen Ink

Daughter of Invention

December 10, 2014
By Anonymous

In  Daughter  Of  Invention,  Cukita  is  the  daughter  of  a  family  from  the  Dominican  Republic.  Her  father  was  more  used  to  the  strictness  of  the  Dominican  Republic,  such  as  speaking  out  against  authority  because  he  was  in  an  underground  society  to  overthrow  the  dictator.  Her  mother  preferred  the  U.S.  because  of  certain  freedoms,  such  as  freedom  of  speech.  In  the  Dominican  Republic,  Cukita  was  a  poor  student;  she  didn’t  want  to  continue  this  behavior  in  the  United  States.  One  day  her  teacher,  Sister  Mary  Joseph,  asks  her  to  do  a  speech  for  the  teacher’s  day  address  at  her  school  assembly.  She  accepted  the  offer.  She  showed  her  mom  her  speech;  she  liked  it  so  much,  she  showed  it  to  Cukita’s  father.  He  didn’t  like  it;  this  caused  a  wedge  in  their  family.  He  thought  it  was  an  insult  to  her  teachers.  He  didn't  want  Cukita  to  disrespect  them.  Although  he  had  good  intentions,  he  came  off  rather  harsh.  He  became  enraged  because  of  her  speech.  Filled  with  rage,  he  lacerated  her  speech.  His  actions  were  unacceptable.  This  discouraged  Cukita  and  upset  her  mother.

Cukita  didn’t  mean  to  enrage  her  father.  She  had  an  amazing  speech that  she  wasn’t  able  to  give  because  of  his  selfish,  inconsiderate,  and  unacceptable  actions.  Her  mother  loved  her  speech.  This  gave  Cukita  happiness  her  father  crushed.  He  should’ve  considered  her  feelings  more.
In  my  opinion,  Cukita’s  father  was  too  rough.  He  had  no  right  to  shred  her paper  like  that.  Instead  of  becoming  enraged  at  phrases  he  didn’t  like,  he  should’ve  talked  to  Cukita  about  parts  her  didn’t  like  and  should’ve  asked  her  to  edit,  change,  or  clarify  those  parts.  He  could’ve  gave  some  constructive  criticism.  It  was  loving  that  he  didn’t  want  her  to  say  anything  rude  or disrespectful,  but  he  could’ve  handled  the  whole  situation  better.  There  are  so  many different  routes  he  could’ve  taken  for  this  scenario,  but  he  chose  a  path  that  hurt  the  others  around  him. Cukita’s  father  came  off  the  wrong  way  even  though  he had  good  intentions.  He  was  trying  to  protect  Cukita  from  saying  something  she’d later  regret.  I  think  he  should’ve  thought  more  about  how  he’d  affect  her.  This  shows that  he  loves  Cukita  and  just  wanted  to  protect  her. 


In  the  end,  Cukita  gave  another speech  that  her  whole  school  liked.  It  was  a  very  rushed  speech  that  was  luckily  successful.  Cukita  wouldn’t  have  gone  through  that  if  her  dad  would’ve  talked  to  her  about  his  thoughts  on  her  first  speech.  This  cycle  of  unnecessary  events  goes  back  to  him  not  thinking  his thoughts  and  actions  through.  All  of  these  events  could’ve  and  should’ve  been  prevented.
In  conclusion,  Cukita’s  father  just  needed  to  think  more  about  his  actions.  He  should’ve  talked  with  her,  give  his  honest  opinion,  and  (if necessary)  politely  ask  her  to  change  a  certain  part.  At  heart  he  is  a  good  person  that’s  rough around  the edges.  He  just  needs  to  polish  up  when  it  comes  to  his  actions.  The  shredding  Cukita’s  paper  was  unnecessary  but  it’s  a lesson  that  can  be  learned  for  Cukita,  her  mother,  and  her  father.