Nuclear Power in the United States | Teen Ink

Nuclear Power in the United States MAG

December 13, 2014
By aberg3 BRONZE, Titusville, Florida
aberg3 BRONZE, Titusville, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The splitting of the most basic unit of a chemical element can turn into the consummate source of energy for an entire city. Research into the nature of the atom began in the 1800s and continues today. Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, and Enrico Fermi dedicated their minds to unlocking the secrets of the atom and, consequently, nuclear energy. Eventually, it became clear that a self-sustaining nuclear fission reaction was possible, and this discovery led to the dawn of the nuclear age.

After the end of World War II, the United States and the rest of the world continued to research nuclear weapons well into the 1960s. Ultimately, the focus became not weapons but the more benevolent use of nuclear power. In the early 1970s, 20 percent of the power in America was nuclear. However, the meltdown of the nuclear reactor on Three Mile Island in 1979 and the accident at Chernobyl in 1986 created widespread skepticism about it, even though those accidents ultimately led to safer reactors.

Concerns over safety brought on a national reduction in nuclear power plants. Today, as the United States remains reluctant to embrace nuclear energy, other countries are increasingly taking advantage of it. With the fear of climate change driving a need for greener energy sources, nuclear power is an inexpensive, simple, and safe option that could combat the negative effects of climate change and provide a reliable, economical alternative to fossil fuels in the United States.

There is no doubt that America needs greener energy solutions. Temperatures and sea levels are rising as glaciers thaw. In order to stave off climate change and make it through the 21st century, we need to drastically reduce CO2 emissions. The easiest way to do this is by adopting cleaner energy. Nuclear power indisputably has the least impact on the environment because it does not release carbon dioxide or methane: the roots of the greenhouse effect. In fact, in 2013, nuclear energy facilities prevented the emission of almost “595 million metric tons of carbon dioxide across the United States,” according to the Nuclear Energy Institute. That’s is roughly equivalent to 135 million cars being taken off of the roads.

Nuclear power is not the only energy option that fits the “green” label. But unlike developing ideas like clean coal and intelligent power grids, “nuclear power is here now,” says David Kalson, Auburn University professor and consultant.

Nuclear energy is not only safe for taxpayers wallets, but it’s also safe for human health. Yes, some will contradict this idea, citing the infamous tsunami that struck Japan in 2011 and destroyed a key nuclear power plant, resulting in one of the biggest releases of nuclear radioactivity since Chernobyl. But this disaster did not prove nuclear power to be chronically dangerous. Instead it pointed to the need for updated regulations for reactors. The Fukushima plant was commissioned almost 40 years ago. Since then, technology has made huge progress, specifically with seismology and the examination of flood hazards. This will be applied to modern nuclear reactors so a catastrophe like Fukushima does not happen again.

Nuclear energy is now safer than it ever has been. The U.S. Navy is an excellent example of how benign nuclear power can be. It crowds people into submarines, forcing them into close proximity with an extremely powerful reactor for days and weeks – with no major incidents.

One of the main arguments of opponents of nuclear energy is that the improved safety requirements will increase costs. As Marc Jacobson, a professor at Stanford and opposer of nuclear energy, puts it, “the price tag for a new nuclear power plant is from $6 billion to $10 billion – much more than plants covered by fossil fuels.” But much like the replacement of a standard light bulb with an efficient yet more costly LED bulb, the expense will be outweighed in the long run. Nuclear power plants have the lowest operating cost of any electrical generation option. The operating and fuel cost of a nuclear reactor leads to less reparations for the average Joe in the long term.

France is an excellent example of how feasible the comprehensive use of nuclear energy is. It went nuclear for 75 percent of its grid in under 15 years. According to the World Nuclear Association, France’s per capita cost of electricity is half that of a country with 25 percent nuclear power. And other countries, such as China, are “actively building nuclear plants to provide electricity in the future,” according to Current Controversies: Nuclear Energy.

Meanwhile, major opposition to the widespread use of nuclear power still exists in this country, and the nuclear industry is having trouble finding footholds to replace old plants. America needs to recognize that onerous regulation of nuclear power is not the same thing as a de facto ban on the technology. Nuclear power can only be achieved if Americans understand that regulation is necessary to prevent accidents, and that there must not be fear regarding the investment of time and money into research and new plant production. We need to observe other nuclear countries and learn from their successes, not just focus on their mistakes.

As greenhouse gasses accumulate, there is a pressing need for a clean and affordable source of power. Nuclear power is by no means a panacea for this problem, but it is a big step in the right direction. Climate change is a substantial problem, however, nuclear power can provide an efficient alternative to fossil fuel energy sources. Overall, nuclear energy is dependable, green, inexpensive, and simple to implement, as demonstrated by countries around the globe. A nuclear power renaissance is long overdue. Further postponement will do nothing but raise the stakes for America.