Winner Takes All | Teen Ink

Winner Takes All

By annabrooke BRONZE, Millbrook, Alabama
annabrooke BRONZE, Millbrook, Alabama

where there is love there is life

I hate dreaming. Dreams have a funny way about them. When I was thirteen and dreaming of becoming Queen of England, it was one of those funny kinds of dreams. It was my wedding day. There was even cake. The only tiny misleading factor was that I hadn’t quite gotten past my thirteen-year-old obsession with Johnny Depp, and well, the King of England slightly resembled him. Needless to say, the kiss was coming alright, but instead of his lips meeting mine and making my heart flutter, my eyes fluttered open and met the time on my alarm clock, and then I realized I was late for school.

In today’s world, many people dream a more serious dream. They dream a dream of justice. They see a world where societies function flawlessly and there’s no such thing as one country leading the charts in obesity, while another, in starvation. They see a world where everyone is treated as human, not as black or white or stupid or bright. They get a glimpse of it, taste it, want for it, long for it enough to completely make sense of it in their minds, but then they are snatched away from it, and back to their old lives where it sometimes seems everything is unjust and cruel.

Where did this dream of justice come from, anyway? Why do we have a moral code carved into our very being? Why is there right and wrong? Why, in every country all over the world, do humans strive for purpose and acceptance? And why, most importantly, are humans the only ones that have the little voice inside the head, with the name most common referred to as a conscience? I believe that the answer to these questions and understanding the conscience will prove that the Moral Code, or the Bible, is true.

Modern people will often say that they believe that the Bible cannot be true because there is no “universally binding moral obligations.” We all must follow our own individual conscience. However, their argument is enough of a premise alone to prove that God exists and His Word is true. The conscience has gained such authority in the world today because it is in every single human and it makes us feel things. We feel the guilt when we do wrong and happiness when we do right. There is one absolute for everyone: It is never good to deliberately disobey his or her own conscience but it is always good to obey the conscience. The conscience dwells only among the human race which proves that God created us in the likeness of Him and that He gave us the little voice inside our head that tells us to choose right.

C.S. Lewis said, “A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line.” The Bible is the standard to live by. The Word of God is the straight line that depicts the crookedness in the sin of the world. The Creator instilled knowledge in us to know right and wrong and gave us a book that is free from contradictions and mistakes. Contradictions? There are lists of so-called contradictions on the Internet that take .001 seconds to find. The contradictions are all one and the same so I will give an example. Regarding knowledge of when the second coming will be, Matthew 24:34 says, “Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled.” Later, in Mark 13:30, it reads, “Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.” The author of the particular website used that argument as the basis of his claim for the Bible’s contradictions, saying that the authors of the Bible could not decide when Jesus was coming. However, the Bible does say in Mark 13:32, which Wiseguy consciously left out, “Now concerning that day or hour no one knows—neither the angels in heaven nor the Son—except the Father.” It is a word choice by the two different writers, Matthew and Mark, both implying the same thing. There are many other desperate attempts at proving Bible contradictions but none of them are sensible or coherent.

The Bible is a unified and cohesive book inspired by God. In addition to the Bible being written by eyewitnesses and over forty different authors from all walks of life, there were other eyewitnesses that had nothing to do with Christianity and historical documents that have nothing to do the Bible. Roman historian Cornelius Tacitus wrote about the fire in Rome, about early Christians being killed and about Jesus’ crucifixion. Tacitus stated, “Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus.” In .001 seconds, statements like these can be found on the Internet establishing the historical truths of the Bible.

If the Bible is true, and all evidence points towards it and no real evidence against it, then the fact that humans have a conscience should be the bow on top that ties it all together. The conscience is evidence with which we can’t disagree with. It whispers to the little girl not to cheat. It shouts when a murder is flashed on the News. It screams at the top of its lungs, “You will regret this!” It is God watching out for us, and He left behind a little instruction manual that hardly anyone is spending enough time studying because they don’t want to believe it is true.
So, where should this crumbling world place its last bet? If it is placed with God, then there’s nothing to lose, even if it turns out that God does not exist. Winner takes all. But if the bet is placed against God, and God does exist, all is lost: God, eternity, heaven, everything. In the words of Pascal, the Wager, "Let us assess the two cases: if you win, you win everything, if you lose, you lose nothing."