Why Cell Phones Should Not be Allowed in a School Setting

In this modern world everyone has a cellphone. By 2010 seventy-five percent of twelve to seventeen year olds owned mobile phones and in the past two years that number has increased (Ludden). Recently, the use of cell phones for cheating on tests, a new method of passing notes, and even cyber bullying have become major issues. Brevard County already has strict policies regarding phone use in schools, if caught with a cell phone students get a referral, their phone is confiscated, and after repeat offenses they can lose their phone privileges (Student/Parent Contract). But are these rules strict enough? If fifty-four percent of students admit to using phones in schools where similar rules are in place, they obviously are not (Ludden). For the good of the students cellphones need to be banned from schools.

What would you rather go a week without; your cellphone or your toothbrush? Forty percent of iPhone users answered toothbrush to this question (Ludden). As a society we are addicted to our cell phones and students are by far the worst offenders sending more texts a day than any other age group, an average of three hundred and thirty-three per month in 2010 (Watters). When the dismissal bell rings at just about any school you are sure to witness dozens of students whipping out their phones almost instantaneously. “If you can’t go six hours without your phone, you’re addicted,” says Diane Phillips, 2011’s Brevard County Teacher of the Year, at the 2011-2012 Brevard Future Educators conference when speaking about the distractions of phones while studying (Philips). It would be beneficial not only to the education of students but to their health as well to separate them from their phones for the time that they are at school. A study by Gaby Badre shows that teenagers who use their phones constantly often experience “increased restlessness with more careless lifestyles, more consumption of stimulating beverages, difficulty in falling asleep and disruptive sleep, and more susceptibility to stress and fatigue.” (Excessive Mobile Phone Use Affects Sleep) Many people who use cell phones too much also experience headaches and even a phantom ringing sound distracting them and keeping them awake at night. (Braff)

Health effects aside, it is well know that texting in class has become a growing epidemic. When students are allowed to have their phones with them in class, many will take this as an opportunity to use them. This leads to disruptions in class, bullying, and even cheating on tests. (Cohen) There has also been some discussion on whether texting effects spelling and writing in the classroom setting. If students are texting in class, “computer talk” can affect their grades. In a survey on edutopia, fifty-four percent of people found that texting was having an effect on the writing habits of young people. (Watters)

One of the most common reason that parents like their kids to keep their phones with them at school is so that in the case of an emergency, their kids can call them. However, in an emergency situation, cellphones can sometimes create as many problems as they solve. Phone systems are only designed to take so many signals at once and too many signals can cause the system to crash. Take the recent earthquake in Virginia for example; as many people hurried to call their friends and family the cell and landline systems were down for up to an hour. For a short time this created mass panic and people thought cell towers and telephone poles were knocked down by the earthquake. In the case of an emergency like this it could render the school’s phone system useless if hundreds of kids start making calls all at once. (Rush) Not only can cell phones escalate emergencies in school they can even cause them, students have been known to call in bomb threats in order to get out of class. Last year Jefferson had a bomb threat, the entire school was evacuated and the hazmat team had to search the school. All of that started because of a post on Facebook by a disgruntled student who didn’t want to go to school that day. If a student has their phone on at school when a classmate or teacher makes them angry they could make a post like this; sending the school into a frantic state of emergency. Although the student would later be expelled for the bomb threat but if phones weren’t allowed in the first place cases like this could be prevented, saving valuable class time.

Allowing cell phones in school is a danger to the health and education of students. Banning cell phones is in the best interest of everyone; it will help student’s grades, separate them from the negative effects for a few hours, and it helps the school to keep students safe in an emergency, and even prevent bomb threats. Schools have the power to help prevent all of these things cell phones can cause by simply banning them from their campus.

NostalgiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 9:56 am
I'd rather go a week without my phone, than a toothbrush. I'd rather have clean teeth than to be brain washed by a cell phone.

allnamesrtaken said...
May 2 at 7:54 pm
I don't think you should really try to stop it. If students use their mobile phones for games etc, then it will be their own fault in the future if they get bad marks, reports and eventually don't get a good job. You get out what you put in.

landpearlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 24 at 6:05 pm
The hate on this article is obnoxious. Cell phones are banned for a reason, and the author, notquitesoancient, makes completely valid points.

BlackBoi said...
Feb. 7 at 10:26 am
@YouAreAVirgin how do u describe this supposed essay/evidence

Ethan said...
Boi this is crap

allnamesrtaken replied...
May 2 at 7:55 pm
Are you from IMPERIUM?

yonas said...
Nov. 23, 2016 at 8:27 am
ye ca ct on matt and test and yo not kan past on test haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

yonas said...
Nov. 23, 2016 at 8:22 am
ha ha ha ha ha ha

arianna12 said...
Nov. 3, 2016 at 9:38 am
there is going to be ringing in the class and they would play games

Fishface said...
Cell phone vs. toothbrush ? Really? Why the **** would we rather have a toothbrush?

TehJellybean16 replied...
Jan. 2 at 12:57 am
Haha 100% true.

allnamesrtaken replied...
May 2 at 7:56 pm
Because the kind of person who would rather have a phone is probably a lazy, fat person that eats junk all day long - do you want your teeth to fall out?

Happy said...
Sept. 9, 2016 at 7:04 am
Essay is good

YouAreAVirgin replied...
Sept. 14, 2016 at 10:56 am
you think that being a virgin is cool you loser

overborg99 said...
how many reports of phantom ringing have you heared about? ??????????????????

d.dry said...
another reason is that the students might record corrupt behavior by the teachers. also, the phones would make the students feel empowered and will prevent the proper indoctrination by the public school system.

Mr, Legendary said...
this is the most ignorant thing i have read. i mean yeah it's clear you are intelligent and well spoken however, your reaching at connections that aren't really there. Although you have some valid points as well, saying that banning cell phones on school campus will end cyberbullying and bomb threats is kind of a stretch. Also if a student is willing to call in a bomb threat to get out of class there is something wrong with them that simply banning their phone from the school campus just can't ... (more »)

YouAreAVirgin replied...
Sept. 14, 2016 at 10:57 am
i agree the author is clearly an untouched virgin who has never had intercourse

VLCM replied...
Jan. 11 at 2:58 pm
Yeah be ur a prostitude right hahaha no jokes???

PlzBeReasonable said...
Jul. 24, 2016 at 8:41 am
I have seen cyber bullying pop up a lot in arguements. I know it's an issue but all I can think about is the fact that the person who is bullied is a person who is either really annoying, a stupid person or has done something stupid. Also it is simple to just ignore it or send something back to fend them off. In the famous words of cool cat say to the bully "maybe if you where nicer you would have friends."