Marijuana Madness | Teen Ink

Marijuana Madness

By ElizabethDenton01 PLATINUM, Clawson, Michigan
ElizabethDenton01 PLATINUM, Clawson, Michigan

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.”
― Bob Marley

The Federal Government is important for a reason. We need some authority over all the states. If the States didn’t have someone (people) to govern them, we would all have a big free for all. SOMEONE needs to enforce these laws. Federal government has every right to tell us that we can’t use drugs. Especially since the only impact drugs have on us, are negative.
Marijuana is the most abused drug in the United States. Even though it is illegal and banned by the Federal government, there are plenty of people who are daring enough to go against the law and smoke it. Now when the States petition to make it LEGAL, well then we have a problem. It’s ILLEGAL for a REASON! So why would you go out of your way to make it legal again, just to defy your government?
Marijuana kills brain cells. It’s also very addictive, and yes it is a cause of death. Hamish Turner, the president of the Coroners’ society, can tell us all about that.

"Cannabis is as dangerous as any other drug and people must understand that it kills," said
Mr. Turner. "From my long experience I can say that it is a very dangerous substance. Increasingly

it is mentioned not only as the first drug taken by people who overdose, but also in suicides and
accidental deaths.” 1
Why should the states have the power to give their citizens a drug that can kill? It would only cause more trouble, and just because someone is over 21, does NOT mean that they will use the drug wisely.

“This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in
Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land” 2
What this means is, even if the states have the right to petition and vote for a new law, the Federal government overrules them because the Constitution says so. The states cannot defy the Federal government. It’s as simple as this, “The Constitution says so”.

1. http://alcoholism.about.com/b/2003/11/02/marijuana-causes-many-deaths-reported-as-accidents.htm
2. http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A6.html