Two Golden Authors | Teen Ink

Two Golden Authors

By RashidaWrites GOLD, Somewhere, Iowa
RashidaWrites GOLD, Somewhere, Iowa

"Nothing Gold Can Stay" (Robert Frost), "For when dreams go. Life is a barren field. Frozen with snow" (Langston Hughes).

Why do we begin young just to grow old? What are we supposed to accomplish, do, and feel, to truly live our lives to the fullest? Robert Frost’s “Nothing Gold Can Stay” can be viewed in different ranges of ways. “Nature’s first green is gold” is the first line on Robert Frost’s poem. The line means that when you’re young, it is golden. You can be reborn, just so you can re-live you younger stages. S.E. Hinton is the author of the book “The Outsiders”. The book is about two gangs who struggle to see past their differences. The Socs, have more money, and are socially accepted. On the other hand, the greasers don’t have much money. The public calls the greasers “hoodlums”. A greaser named Ponyboy, has a situation where his friend kills a Soc. The Soc. Wanted to kill Ponyboy, that’s why his friend, Johnny, killed the Soc., Bob. Pony’s parents died in a car accident, and pony has to live with him two brothers, Soda, and Darry.

The concluded message of “Nothing Gold can Stay” poem is not only about getting older, it is about cherishing the years that you still have remaining on this Earth. I infer that Robert Frost wanted to write about the reason why we should live our lives to the fullest. Youth is pure and it can’t last forever. Once you’re born, you will continue to get older. Being young, gives you the time conquer your dreams. After a number of years you won’t be able to the things you could do ten years ago.

Being in a gang, isn’t normally expected for a fourteen-year-old boy to be apart of. Pony was familiar with Robert Frost’s poem, and remembered it. I think he remembered because it was something that had an affect in his life. His parents died before he was able to grow up into a man. Dealing with the anguish, and controlling his mental stability, isn’t how a young boy should be raised. Pony might be confused about the poem as well. Not knowing what Robert Frost meant, could make Pony think about it more.

“The Outsiders” refers to the poem “Nothing Gold Can Stay”. The greasers all have grown up very fast. The were forced to bottle up all of their feelings. No matter how much they suffered, they became more aggressive and tough. Johnny, Pony’s friend, dies at the end of the book. Before he died, he thought about all the things he didn’t get to see and do. Johnny didn’t want to die yet. He felt like it was too early to have to leave everything behind, forever. Pony, Johnny and their greaser friend Dally, saved frightened children from a burning church. Not many teenagers can say they were heroes and saved the lives of many. Being a hero is definitely golden.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost

Everyone may have regrets, and disappointments. We might wish we had done something that could have saved a life, or change our own. “Her early leaf’s a flower, but only so an hour” “…But only so an hour…” Refers to the limited time we all have. You never know what could happen the next day. You never know what choices you will have to make. “So dawn goes down today, nothing gold can stay” We shouldn’t focus about the things wrong with our lives, but what we love and cherish about our lives. Set goals. Accomplish dreams. Be golden.

I wrote this essay in 8th grade. In it, I compare "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost, and "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton. Hinton and Frost being the "two golden authors" who go hand-in-hand.