Neon Converses and Polkadot leggings | Teen Ink

Neon Converses and Polkadot leggings

April 23, 2011
By nbeteck SILVER, Salisbury, Maryland
nbeteck SILVER, Salisbury, Maryland
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” -Anne Frank


Neon converses, polka dot leggings, and a navy blazer from the thrift shop down the street. Dressed in my idea of a perfect outfit, I haul my backpack over my shoulder and walk confidently up to school.

Today is the day I have been campaigning for-today is the day I read my election speech for SGA president in front of the school. This is the day that I step up to the podium in my 2nd layer of skin and proclaim “Listen up High School, I have something to say!”. I could have dressed like a politician today, clad in a full on suit with shiny mary janes, but predictability is not my style, and I just would not feel comfortable.

As I step into the auditorium, it is obvious that I stand out like a sore thumb. My neon converses beckon the students to stare as my polka dots make them question the girl inside, who they do not know is full of surprises. I soak in the feeling of curiosity and develop an ego boost. I am mysterious, but not for long. They have seen me on the outside but as soon as I read my speech and spill out my personality from the inside, there will be no mystery.

Though I am dressed in my comfort fitting shoes that I have had since middle school, my polka dots reflect that I am not afraid to stay true to myself or take a risk, like the risk I took running for SGA president. But I am not afraid to try something new, and the formal blazer above is my indication that I am serious and can be taken seriously. I approach the stadium confidently in my second dermis, I am myself, I am unstoppable, and the election is mine.


The author's comments:
“Seek the fashion which truly fits and befits you. You will always be in fashion if you are true to yourself and only if you are true to yourself. You might of course rightly wear that style which is emblazoned on the fashion magazines of the day, or you might not.”- Maya Angelou