Teen Suicide: The Unspoken Epidemic | Teen Ink

Teen Suicide: The Unspoken Epidemic

By Symphony_24 BRONZE, Palestine, Texas
Symphony_24 BRONZE, Palestine, Texas

"I'd trade all my tommorows for a single yesterday."
Janis Joplin

Teen suicide is one of the most terrifying yet true things in our world. Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for people ages 15-24 and the 6th leading cause of death for people the ages 5-14. That’s right, 5 year olds commit suicide too. Teenagers and pre-teens face many challenges every day. Whether it is stress, confusion, fear, drug abuse, or pressure, it is always there, creating an emotional strain on the person.

You may know that depression and suicidal thoughts are both mental disorders and are completely treatable. However, I’m not going to look at it from a scientific perspective, rather, I am going to look at it from an emotional angle. How terrible does somebody have to feel, in order for them to want to end their own life? People who do this are so far gone that they feel totally unwanted, unloved, and unimportant. They feel as if there is no point or reason for their lives. So, why aren’t we doing anything about it?

When you see in the newspaper or on the news that a person has committed suicide you think, wow that pretty sad, but then you go on with your life and don’t ever think twice about it. Well, this is exactly what the person would have expected! The people who do this are, in my opinion, making a statement. You may think, well what’s the good in killing yourself if you are trying to make a difference? But you see, by doing this they are noticed, and recognized which is all they really wanted in the first place. If we just forget about them and ignore the message that they are sending then that is a disgrace to the person. Its saying, ok we get it, we just don’t care. It shouldn’t be that way.

High school is one of the most emotionally straining times in a teenager’s life. With bullying and homework all of the pressure from parents, friends, and teachers, it can all get a bit overwhelming. Not to mention the fact that you are constantly watched and scrutinized about very move you make. All of this can make a person feel unappreciated and unwanted. This leads to depression which sadly can lead to suicide. This of course leads me to think about what could have been done to help that person.

Every day, an average of 14 teens takes their own lives each day. If you knew somebody who did this, would you feel like you could have done something to prevent it? Fortunately i do not know anybody who has attempted or committed suicide. However, I have a very close friend who recently confessed to me that she used to cut herself years ago. We talked about what had been going on at her home at the time and all of the emotional pain she felt. She is one of the strongest people I know and I never would have guessed that she was caring that burden of sorrow and pain. I think of this then compare it to how much worse a person must feel in order to commit suicide and its unimaginable.

On average, girls think about attempting suicide twice as much as boys do. On the other hand, boys actually commit suicide four times as much as girls. Also, the rate of teen suicide has increased by 8% in the last year and is the highest it has been in 15 years. So you see, this silent epidemic is a very real and very dangerous thing. The worst part about it is that it can be prevented and yet, nobody seems to put much effort into it. It seems to me that the world just needs one big wake up call so that it an see the reality that it has tried to elude for so long. So, my last and most important question for you is, what are YOU going to do about it?

i think that teen suicide is one of the most terrible things in our modern day society. It's time that we start taking a stand and changing that.

on May. 25 2017 at 9:23 am
sabrinaneedssomeone,
i need help

tori3atworld said...
on Apr. 3 2012 at 12:23 am
Very good article, and well written. Hope you don't mind but I was writing a paper on bullying in schools and teen depression, so i used some of your facts. Dont worry I will refrence you. Just wanted to say thanks for the information, and thanks for bringing attention to this topic. Hopefully my writing will do yours justice.

secrets_of_silence GOLD, Gisborne, Other

life had i loved the more
had it but passed away
as quietly as the day
ebbs from the darkening star.

-emanuel litvinoff

i have a similar outlook but it is based on not judging people

Symphony_24 BRONZE, Palestine, Texas

Janis Joplin

thank you very much! please take a look at some of my other work too i'de greatly appreciate it! 

RainOnMyWindowpane SILVER, Sacramento, California

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. - Pablo Picasso

This article is well writen and shows a clear opinion. I agree with every point made. Keep writing on this topic to spread the word. Keep up the good work!

Symphony_24 BRONZE, Palestine, Texas

Janis Joplin

for quite some time i have been writing about suicide and depression, attempting to spread the word about the danger it is. i know that many people have read my article and im very hapy about that because that means that i may affect at least one persons life. so please comment and let me know what you think or if you are going through anything tough in your life feel free to talk about it because even if you dont think someone could understand, it helps to at least let someone, anyone know how you feel. if i've changed anyones outlook on things with this article, then i will be eternally happy, because that could end up saving a life.