AI is new for our world? | Teen Ink

AI is new for our world?

January 31, 2024
By anzzek BRONZE, Gurgaon, Other
anzzek BRONZE, Gurgaon, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 Did you know that the birth of AI is considered to be between 1950-1956?

 Five founders of AI are considered to be Alan Turing, Allen Newell, Herbert A. Simon, John McCarthy, and Marvin Minsky, but many more people stand behind the development of AI. Have you ever heard of any of them before? I've read about Alan Turing, and you might have as well from books or movies like 'The Imitation Game.' Indeed, their work is eye-opening. I personally know him for the encryption of German Enigma machines, which showcases how intelligent this man was. In this post, I'd like to discuss them and the beginnings of the history of AI.

 Alan Turing is widely recognized as one of the key figures in the history of modern computer science. His significant contributions span several domains, including mathematics, computer science, cryptanalysis, and artificial intelligence.

 Turing is particularly renowned for his work in the development of the first modern computers. He introduced a groundbreaking concept in AI known as the Turing Test, which aims to determine if a machine, or AI, can exhibit human-like thinking. This test, proposed by the British mathematician, revolves around a text-based conversation in which a person interacts with both an AI and a human, attempting to distinguish between the two. If a person cannot consistently differentiate between the AI and the human, the AI is considered to have passed the Turing Test. This test has become a significant benchmark in AI research and experimentation.

 However, it's important to note that the Turing Test primarily assesses a machine's ability to mimic human behavior rather than its underlying intelligence. While the Turing Test has its advantages, it doesn't address an AI's perception, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities, which are essential aspects of determining whether artificial intelligence is as developed as human intelligence.

 Allen Newell was an American researcher in computer science and cognitive psychology, recognized for his significant contributions to AI research. He collaborated with Herbert A. Simon, an American scientist, who also played a pivotal role in the field of AI. Together, they are celebrated as pioneers of artificial intelligence and are credited with creating the first true artificial intelligence program in 1956, known as the Logic Theorist.

 The Logic Theorist, often referred to as "the first artificial intelligence program," represented a major breakthrough in the field of artificial intelligence as it was capable of engaging in reasoning. This program employed symbolic reasoning techniques, manipulating symbolic expressions and logical rules to derive new conclusions. Notably, the Logic Theorist successfully proved 38 out of 53 mathematical theorems and even discovered shorter and more efficient methods of proving them. This showcased the problem-solving capabilities of AI. The development of the Logic Theorist marked a pivotal moment in the history of AI, opening the door for further research and advancements in the field.

 John McCarthy, often referred to as one of the "founding fathers" and the "Father of AI," is credited for his pioneering work in the field of artificial intelligence. In 1955, McCarthy coined the term "AI" (Artificial Intelligence) in connection with a proposed summer workshop at Dartmouth College, which attracted many of the world's leading thinkers in computing.

 McCarthy's contributions extended beyond terminology. He conceived and developed the concept of time-sharing and also invented the first programming language designed for symbolic computation, known as LISP. Additionally, he played a pivotal role in developing early AI systems. In 1959, he co-founded the MIT AI Laboratory, where he collaborated with other notable figures in the field, including Marvin Minsky, an American cognitive and computer scientist. One of Marvin Minsky's pioneering achievements was the co-development of the first head-mounted graphical display in 1963, which laid the foundation for virtual reality technology. Minsky's work inspired research in machine learning and computer vision, making substantial advancements in the understanding of how machines could perceive and interact with their environment.

 The emergence of AI between 1950 and 1956 owes much to the groundbreaking work of these luminaries. Alan Turing's Turing Test set a benchmark for AI, and his cryptanalysis skills during World War II remain iconic. The collaboration of Allen Newell and Herbert A. Simon gave birth to the first AI program, the Logic Theorist, with remarkable problem-solving capabilities. John McCarthy, the "Father of AI," was pivotal in coining the term "AI" and advancing various aspects of the field, Marvin Minsky's foundational work in the analysis of artificial neural networks. Together, these pioneers paved the way for AI research and development, leaving an enduring legacy.


The author's comments:

Thank you for reading

Google was used for post