From a Park to a Park-ing Lot: Tourism’s Devastating Impacts on Nature | Teen Ink

From a Park to a Park-ing Lot: Tourism’s Devastating Impacts on Nature

October 23, 2023
By jellifish DIAMOND, Foster City, California
jellifish DIAMOND, Foster City, California
50 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Kamau Brathwaite’s poem, “Francina” elucidates the destruction of nature through literary devices like alliteration to raise awareness on the harmful effects of the tourism industry. The alliteration in “macaw, monkeys” and “humped hundred” (3) sound pleasing to the ear, and the soft consonance in “shell-fish” (4) give it a quiet, peaceful feeling, both of which convey the enjoyable feeling of the park. Each animal represents a piece of the once green park before modernization as a result of the tourism industry. The harsher consonance in the words “buttocks” of tourists (10) and their newest “jukebox” (12) represents the more serious topic of modernization for profit, including the building of a new “dance hall” (8) with music, food, dances and fights. In line 12, Brathwaite states that the “green is gone now”; repeating the ceasing existence of a “park that was once green” in line one, showing how “green”, which represents the nature that was once there, has been destroyed by modernization, making readers reminisce on the nature of the park before its destruction. The “park” in line one, turned into a “park- / ing lot” in lines 14 to 15 cuts off the “park” part of the “parking lot” , reminding the reader of what was once there and what it turned into because of the destructive nature of the tourism industry. Braithwaite uses poetic language to discuss the destructiveness of the tourism industry, destroying the natural land to make money and profit. This message is similar to how the whole point of Marlow’s expedition in Joseph Conrad’s novella, Heart of Darkness, was to make money for his company and profit from the ivory mines and trade from Africa, the extraction of natural resources in Africa, colonizing and modernizing Africa to work for imperialists. Conrad uses colonization of Africa to demonstrate the use of the natural land as a ivory mine and to make profit off of the slaves there, just like how the building of the dance hall was to profit the tourism industry. Braithwaite’s use of poetic devices show how natural land gets destroyed to make profit for the tourism industry, as a lasting legacy of colonialism.