IMF Loan: Blessing or Curse? | Teen Ink

IMF Loan: Blessing or Curse?

July 22, 2023
By kousei GOLD, Mymensingh, Other
kousei GOLD, Mymensingh, Other
14 articles 3 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Comfort is no test of truth. Truth is often far from being comfortable."


The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is a major financial agency and an international financial institution. It prioritizes multilateral financial cooperation to maintain long-term financial stability and advancement in global commerce. The primary objectives of the IMF are boosting trade, encouraging job creation, and advancing economic progress globally. Three crucial roles that the IMF plays for developing nations include providing financial assistance, encouraging capacity building, and undertaking diligent economic monitoring. These admirable undertakings give off a feeling of goodness. However, there is much more to reality than first appears.

The IMF, which has 190 member countries, carefully examines the state of the world economy. The IMF provides member states with short-term loans upon request. These loans are generally supported by payment quotas. The particular quota allotted to each member nation is established in accordance with GDP. The IMF aims to offer countries modest, short-term loans with interest rates below the going rate on the market. The recipient countries are able to improve their domestic economies and pay off immediate debt. But while the IMF is frequently seen as the "Lender of Last Resort," sovereign states hardly ever request loans from it on their own. IMF financial aid is requested when there are few other options available.

Loans provided by the IMF come with demanding and non-negotiable conditions that the recipient must promptly adhere to. Various requirements and guidelines are specified by the IMF before granting loans, aimed at expediting the restoration of financial equilibrium within national governments. These strict conditions, which encompass measures like reducing government spending, enhancing trade, removing capital flow barriers, privatizing state-owned enterprises, reducing subsidies, and increasing taxes, among others, may be perceived as exceptionally austere. These requirements are applicable regardless of a nation's economic, socioeconomic, or political context. Consequently, these stipulations must be fulfilled, regardless of the circumstances, to obtain IMF funds. Despite the goal of enhancing economic strength, recipient countries often find themselves facing exacerbated difficulties in meeting the IMF's demands.

A core component of many IMF terms involves restructuring the political and economic infrastructure, necessitating prompt action from the borrowing state. These reforms frequently entail bearing the cost of bolstering institutions like the central bank through taxation, impacting the general public. While these reforms are indeed crucial and lie within the reach of the state, the IMF's insistence on their swift implementation reflects a "shock treatment" approach. It expects the countries to achieve those conditions in a few years what may have taken decades. As a nation strives to meet the IMF's conditions, its economic situation may deteriorate, which could lead to recessions, soaring poverty rates and increased unemployment. Despite presenting its debt as temporary assistance, the IMF cannot ensure that its loans to the least developed countries will indeed be short-term. Instead, these loans can result in long-term dependency.

Moreover, as the IMF acts as the last resort for these countries, they find themselves devoid of access to external aid once the IMF's loans are repaid. The fundamental economic and political inequalities within the borrowing state remain unresolved by the IMF's conditions. Such situations frequently result in reduced quality of life for ordinary citizens, as demonstrated by the IMF's frequent demands for subsidy cuts, which may curb government spending but lead to ongoing inflation and a lack of liquidity in undervalued industries. To ensure a minimal quality of life for their citizens, many developing nations divert resources to various non-profit sectors, leading to fiscal imbalances that necessitate corrective action to secure IMF financing.

Governments may attempt to boost national revenue through specific industries' increased taxes or resort to currency devaluation by printing more money, but both options may eventually result in inflation spikes. Essentially, these policies may not effectively address foreign debt or budget deficits, ultimately perpetuating economic stagnation and amplifying the cycle of poverty.

Unintentionally, the IMF's requirements can harm the general populace as a whole, worsening the predicament of the poor by emphasizing rapid economic reforms without fully acknowledging political and economic inequalities. Though many people believe that economic change is essential for a country's development, it remains uncertain whether the population will be willing to bear the high cost of such reforms. Rather than hastily implementing reforms to meet loan repayments, economic and infrastructure transformations should be undertaken with meticulous preparation and a long-term perspective.