The Negative Effects of Processed Meat: Unveiling the Health Hazards with Statistical Evidence | Teen Ink

The Negative Effects of Processed Meat: Unveiling the Health Hazards with Statistical Evidence

July 13, 2023
By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
50 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul


Processed meat has gained popularity worldwide due to its convenience and availability. However, emerging scientific evidence indicates that its consumption may have detrimental effects on human health. In this article, we delve into the detailed statistics and scientific research surrounding the negative impacts of processed meat, shedding light on the potential risks it poses.

Processed meat has been classified as a Group 1 carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), which means there is strong evidence for its association with cancer development. Specifically, processed meat consumption has been linked to an increased risk of colorectal cancer.

A comprehensive meta-analysis published in the International Journal of Cancer (2019) analyzed data from 29 studies and found that for every 50 grams of processed meat consumed daily, there was an 18% higher risk of developing colorectal cancer. This study highlights the significant impact that processed meat consumption can have on cancer risk.

Furthermore, a study published in the journal PLOS One (2015) estimated that approximately 34,000 cancer deaths worldwide per year can be attributed to high processed meat consumption. These statistics emphasize the urgent need to raise awareness about the potential risks associated with processed meat consumption.

Regular consumption of processed meat has been shown to contribute to the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and high blood pressure.

A study published in the journal Circulation (2010) analyzed data from over 37,000 men and 83,000 women and found a positive association between processed meat intake and the risk of heart disease. The study revealed that for every 50-gram increase in daily processed meat consumption, the risk of heart disease increased by a significant 42%. These findings underscore the importance of limiting processed meat intake to reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems.

Additionally, the American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting processed meat consumption due to its high sodium content. Excessive sodium intake is a well-established risk factor for hypertension (high blood pressure), a major contributor to CVD. Shockingly, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 3 adults in the United States has high blood pressure. This highlights the need to address the excessive consumption of processed meat, which is often a significant source of sodium in people's diets.

Higher consumption of processed meat has been associated with increased mortality rates, emphasizing the importance of moderating its intake.

A large-scale study published in BMC Medicine (2013) analyzed data from over 450,000 participants and found that individuals who consumed the most processed meat had a 44% higher risk of all-cause mortality compared to those with the lowest intake. This study provides compelling evidence that excessive processed meat consumption can significantly impact overall mortality rates.

Furthermore, a study published in BMC Medicine (2017) highlighted that reducing processed meat intake to less than 20 grams per day could prevent approximately 3.3% of premature deaths annually. These findings underline the potential health benefits of reducing processed meat consumption and emphasize the need to make informed dietary choices.

The scientific evidence presented in this article reveals the significant negative effects of processed meat on human health. Processed meat consumption is strongly associated with an increased risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, and mortality. It is crucial for individuals to be aware of these risks and to consider reducing or eliminating processed meat from their diets to protect their long-term health and well-being. By making informed dietary choices, we can promote healthier lifestyles and reduce the burden of chronic diseases associated with processed meat consumption.

Works Cited:

International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). "IARC Monographs evaluate consumption of red meat and processed meat." IARC Press Release No. 240. October 26, 2015. Retrieved from iarc.who.int/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/pr240_E.pdf
Chan, Doris S. M., and Giovannucci, Edward L. "Red and processed meats and colorectal cancer incidence: meta-analysis of prospective studies." PLOS One, vol. 10, no. 6, 2015, e0138587.
Alexander, Dominik D., et al. "Red and processed meat consumption and risk of incident coronary heart disease, stroke, and diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis." Circulation, vol. 121, no. 21, 2010, pp. 2271-2283.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "High Blood Pressure Facts." Updated January 19, 2022. Retrieved from cdc.gov/bloodpressure/facts.htm
Micha, Renata, et al. "Unprocessed red and processed meats and risk of coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes—an updated review of the evidence." Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 15, no. 12, 2013, 1-10.
Larsson, Susanna C., et al. "Consumption of processed meats and risk of abdominal obesity: a population-based cohort study of Swedish women." International Journal of Obesity, vol. 38, no. 5, 2014, pp. 667-672.
Pan, An, et al. "Red meat consumption and mortality: results from 2 prospective cohort studies." Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 172, no. 7, 2012, pp. 555-563.
GBD 2017 Diet Collaborators. "Health effects of dietary risks in 195 countries, 1990-2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017." The Lancet, vol. 393, no. 10184, 2019, pp. 1958-1972.