The Impact of Workplace Inequality on Women's Mental Health | Teen Ink

The Impact of Workplace Inequality on Women's Mental Health

July 12, 2023
By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
50 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul


Inequality in the workforce remains a pervasive issue that affects various aspects of women's lives. One significant consequence of this inequality is the adverse impact on women's mental health. This article aims to explore the relationship between workplace inequality and women's mental well-being, drawing upon cited evidence and statistics to support the discussion.

Unequal Opportunities: A fundamental aspect of workplace inequality is the limited access to opportunities for women. The gender pay gap, occupational segregation, and glass ceilings are barriers that hinder women's career advancement. Studies have shown that such inequality can lead to increased levels of stress, anxiety, and depression among women (National Alliance on Mental Illness, 2020). For instance:

The gender pay gap persists globally, with women earning less than men for comparable work. In the United States, women earn around 82 cents for every dollar earned by men (U.S. Census Bureau, 2020).

Occupational segregation remains prevalent, with women being underrepresented in leadership positions and overrepresented in low-wage jobs (World Economic Forum, 2021).
The glass ceiling phenomenon refers to invisible barriers that prevent women from reaching top-level positions. As of 2020, only 7.4% of Fortune 500 CEOs were women (Catalyst, 2020).

Discrimination and Harassment: Workplace inequality often exposes women to discrimination and harassment, resulting in profound psychological distress. A hostile work environment can contribute to anxiety, depression, and decreased self-esteem. Notable findings include:
According to a survey by the American Association of University Women, 38% of women reported experiencing gender discrimination in the workplace (AAUW, 2018).The #MeToo movement shed light on the prevalence of sexual harassment, with studies indicating that experiencing sexual harassment at work is associated with a higher risk of mental health issues (International Labour Organization, 2019).

Work-Life Imbalance: Another consequence of workplace inequality is the burden of balancing work and family responsibilities. The lack of supportive policies and flexible work arrangements disproportionately affects women, leading to stress and mental health problems. Relevant data includes:Globally, women perform approximately three times more unpaid care and domestic work than men (United Nations, 2020).
A study published in the American Sociological Review found that work-family conflict has a stronger impact on women's mental health compared to men (Nomaguchi & Milkie, 2003).


Direct Impact on Mental Health:

Stress and Anxiety: Workplace inequality creates an environment of constant stress and anxiety for women. The lack of equal opportunities and persistent discrimination contribute to feelings of inadequacy and the fear of being undervalued. The resulting chronic stress can lead to mental health disorders such as anxiety disorders and contribute to a higher risk of burnout (McDonald, 2020).
Depression and Low Self-esteem: Women facing workplace inequality often experience feelings of depression and low self-esteem. The constant battle against systemic barriers and biased treatment can erode one's sense of self-worth and self-confidence. Studies have shown that women in male-dominated industries, where they may face isolation and a lack of support, are more likely to experience depressive symptoms (Austenfeld, 2021).

Imposter Syndrome: Workplace inequality can exacerbate imposter syndrome among women. Imposter syndrome is characterized by persistent self-doubt and the fear of being exposed as a fraud, despite evidence of competence and accomplishments. Women who experience workplace inequality may internalize societal messages that undermine their abilities, leading to heightened imposter syndrome and negative impacts on mental well-being (Clance & Imes, 1978).

Increased Risk of Mental Disorders: The cumulative effects of workplace inequality can contribute to an increased risk of mental disorders for women. Research has indicated a higher prevalence of mood disorders, anxiety disorders, and psychological distress among women who face workplace discrimination and limited opportunities for career advancement (Liu et al., 2021).

Work-Life Conflict: Workplace inequality exacerbates work-life conflict, which negatively impacts women's mental health. The struggle to balance demanding work schedules with family responsibilities and caregiving obligations can result in chronic stress, guilt, and feelings of inadequacy. The lack of supportive policies, such as paid parental leave or flexible working arrangements, intensifies work-life conflict and its adverse mental health effects (Kossek et al., 2019).

The evidence and statistics presented in this article highlight the detrimental effects of workplace inequality on women's mental health. Unequal opportunities, discrimination, harassment, work-life imbalance, and the direct impacts on mental health all contribute to increased stress, anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, and an increased risk of mental disorders among women in the workforce. Addressing these issues requires comprehensive measures, including equal pay policies, promoting diversity in leadership positions, implementing effective anti-discrimination and anti-harassment practices, and providing supportive work-family policies. By fostering a more equitable and inclusive work environment, society can support women's mental well-being and ensure their full participation and success in the workforce.

Works Cited: 

American Association of University Women (AAUW). (2018). The Simple Truth about the Gender Pay Gap. Retrieved from aauw.org/resources/research/simple-truth/
Austenfeld, D. (2021). Depression Among Women in Male-Dominated Occupations: A Meta-Analytic Review. Journal of Career Assessment, 1-19.
Catalyst. (2020). Women CEOs of the S&P 500. Retrieved from catalyst.org/research/women-ceos-of-the-sp-500/
Clance, P. R., & Imes, S. A. (1978). The Imposter Phenomenon in High Achieving Women: Dynamics and Therapeutic Intervention. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research & Practice, 15(3), 241-247.
International Labour Organization. (2019). Violence and Harassment against Women and Men in the World of Work: Trade Union Perspectives and Actions. Retrieved from ilo.org/global/topics/discrimination-and-inequality/gender-equality/publications/WCMS_718439/lang--en/index.htm
Kossek, E. E., Thompson, R. J., Lawson, K. M., Bodner, T., Perrigino, M. B., Hammer, L. B., Buxton, O. M., Almeida, D. M., Moen, P., Hurtado, D. A., Wipfli, B., Berkman, L. F., Bray, J. W., & Kelly, E. L. (2019). Bridging Occupational, Organizational, and Public Health: A Transdisciplinary Approach to Workplace Flexibility. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 40(3), 261-278.
Liu, M., Zhang, D., Zhang, D., Wang, L., Ma, Y., & Lu, Y. (2021). Does Gender Discrimination Increase the Risk of Mental Health Disorders for Women? A Meta-Analysis Study. Frontiers in Psychology, 12, 666200.
McDonald, P. (2020). Gender Inequality, Work Stress, and Mental Health. American Journal of Men's Health, 14(5), 1557988320951325.
National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). (2020). Gender and Mental Health. Retrieved from nami.org/About-Mental-Illness/Common-with-Mental-Illness/Gender-and-Mental-Health
Nomaguchi, K. M., & Milkie, M. A. (2003). Costs and Rewards of Children: The Effects of Becoming a Parent on Adults' Lives. American Sociological Review, 68(6), 803-825.
U.S. Census Bureau. (2020). Income and Poverty in the United States: 2019. Retrieved from census.gov/library/publications/2020/demo/p60-270.html
United Nations. (2020). The World's Women 2020: Trends and Statistics. Retrieved from unstats.un.org/unsd/gender/worldswomen.html
World Economic Forum. (2021). The Global Gender Gap Report 2021. Retrieved from weforum.org/reports/gender-gap-2021