Understanding How Sunscreen Works: The Role of SPF in Skin Protection | Teen Ink

Understanding How Sunscreen Works: The Role of SPF in Skin Protection

By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey

Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul

Sunscreen is a crucial tool for safeguarding our skin from the harmful effects of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation. It serves as a barrier that helps to prevent sunburn, premature aging, and reduces the risk of skin cancer. In this article, we will explore the science behind how sunscreen works, and specifically, the significance of Sun Protection Factor (SPF) in protecting the skin.

Sunscreen contains a combination of organic and inorganic chemicals that act as filters to absorb, scatter, and reflect UV radiation. These ingredients fall into two main categories: chemical sunscreens and physical sunscreens.

Chemical sunscreens contain organic compounds such as avobenzone, octisalate, octinoxate, and oxybenzone. When applied to the skin, these compounds undergo chemical reactions that convert UV radiation into less harmful forms of energy, such as heat. They are effective in absorbing both UVA and UVB rays, providing broad-spectrum protection.

Physical sunscreens, also known as mineral or inorganic sunscreens, contain active ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These minerals work by forming a physical barrier on the skin that reflects and scatters UV radiation, preventing it from penetrating the skin.

Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is a measurement used to indicate the level of protection provided by sunscreen against UVB rays, which are primarily responsible for sunburns. SPF does not measure protection against UVA rays, although many sunscreens provide broad-spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB.

The SPF value represents the amount of time an individual can stay in the sun without getting burned compared to the time it takes for the skin to burn without any protection. For example, if it takes 10 minutes for your skin to burn without sunscreen, applying a sunscreen with SPF 30 theoretically extends that time to 300 minutes (10 minutes × SPF 30). However, it is important to note that sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours, even with higher SPF ratings.

To better understand the effectiveness of SPF, let's examine a study conducted by the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. The study found that using sunscreen with SPF 30 reduced the incidence of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, by 50% compared to individuals who did not use sunscreen regularly.

Moreover, the American Academy of Dermatology recommends using sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, which filters out 97% of the sun's UVB rays. Higher SPF values provide slightly more protection, but the increase is not directly proportional. For instance, SPF 50 filters out around 98% of UVB rays, and SPF 100 filters out about 99%. Therefore, the difference between SPF 30 and higher values is relatively small.

While sunscreen is a vital part of sun protection, it should be used in conjunction with other measures to maximize its effectiveness. These measures include seeking shade during peak sun hours (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.), wearing protective clothing, such as wide-brimmed hats and long sleeves, and using sunglasses to shield the eyes from UV radiation.

Sunscreen, with its combination of chemical and physical filters, plays a pivotal role in safeguarding the skin from harmful UV radiation. SPF serves as a guide for determining the level of protection against sunburn caused by UVB rays. By using sunscreen with an appropriate SPF and adopting additional sun protection measures, individuals can significantly reduce their risk of sunburn, premature aging, and skin cancer.

Works Cited 

American Academy of Dermatology. (n.d.). Sunscreen FAQs. Retrieved from aad.org/public/everyday-care/sun-protection/sunscreen-patients/sunscreen-faqs