The Swan at Edgewater Park and Landscape with the Fall of Icarus: A Comparative Essay on Poetic Forms, Styles, and Tones and Message about Humanity | Teen Ink

The Swan at Edgewater Park and Landscape with the Fall of Icarus: A Comparative Essay on Poetic Forms, Styles, and Tones and Message about Humanity

By CHRISLIU714 SILVER, North Andover, Massachusetts
CHRISLIU714 SILVER, North Andover, Massachusetts

“Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.”― Eleanor Roosevelt

The Swan at Edgewater Park by Ruth L. Schwartz and Landscape with the Fall of Icarus by William C. Williams are two comparable poems, but at the same time, their differences are also worth examining. Poetically, the style of The Swan at Edgewater Park differs from Landscape with the Fall of Icarus as it is longer and more straightforward, and Ruth L. Schwartz’s choice of diction is also distinct as well. Despite the differences, both poems convey similar messages as the poets uncover the vulnerability of humanity and the bleakness of society by using imagery. Although The Swan at Edgewater Park varies in style and scope compared to Landscape with the Fall of Icarus, both poems deliver a deeper meaning of choice, hope, and life that allows the readers to ponder.  

Neither poem follows a specific rhyme scheme because Schwartz and Williams both use free verse. The Swan at Edgewater Park starts with “Isn’t one of your prissy rich people's swans/Wouldn’t be at home on some pristine pond/Chooses the whole stinking shoreline, candy wrappers, condoms in its tidal fringe” (Ruth L. Schwartz). By examining the endings of each line, the words do not have a rhyme scheme because they do not end in similar pronunciations. Likewise, in the second stanza of Landscape with the Fall of Icarus, the lines are “a farmer was ploughing/his field/the whole pageantry” (William C. Williams). The words “ploughing”, “field” and “pageantry” do not have similar pronunciations, thus this poem is also in free verse without any consistent rhyme patterns. In addition, there is no use of any meter within either poem since there are no fixed patterns in the sounds of the words.

Where The Swan at Edgewater Park and Landscape with the Fall of Icarus differ falls more in poetic style. The Swan at Edgewater Park consists of more lines and is significantly longer than Landscape with the Fall of Icarus. In addition, Schwartz utilizes simpler words like “stinking”, “condoms”, “grubby”, and “runty” in comparison to the diction in Landscape with the Fall of Icarus such as “pageantry” or the use of references such as “Brueghel”. The readers may perceive The Swan at Edgewater Park as more straightforward and modern than Landscape with the Fall of Icarus. Moreover, Landscape with the Fall of Icarus tells a less continuous and fluid story than The Swan at Edgewater Park because every line is short, creating gaps between each stanza. On the other hand, The Swan at Edgewater Park consists of more complete lines. 

The poets’ choices of diction also cause their poems to have different tones, projecting various effects on the readers. The tone of The Swan at Edgewater Park maintains a balance between the gloominess of Lorie’s life and a personal touch to Lorie’s characteristics. Schwartz’s directness and simplicity cause the readers to feel like they are acquainted with Lorie, which effectively allows them to connect with Lorie and her situation. On the contrary, Williams adopts a more neutral tone in Landscape with the Fall of Icarus because he writes from the perspective of an outsider and observer as the poem begins with “According to Brueghel” (William C. Williams). Therefore, it is more difficult for the readers to sympathize with Icarus’s mishap.  

Moreover, the scope of the two poems varies as well, resulting in differences in the reader’s interpretation of the poems. While The Swan at Edgewater Park focuses on the descriptions of a swan which then extends to the introduction of Lorie, Landscape with the Fall of Icarus depicts a mythological figure. The difference in the scope creates a distinction between the characters in the two poems. Lorie is portrayed as an individual that readers can relate to because the poem includes descriptions of a life that is common in modern society. For instance, 

Schwartz writes about Lorie’s habits of “Smoking away her days off in her dirty kitchen/Her kid with asthma watching TV” (Ruth L. Schwartz). Schwartz paints a vivid picture that the readers can imagine because they are somehow aware of such a scenario, whether from their own experiences or by witnessing others’ lives. In contrast, Landscape with the Fall of Icarus does not evoke a strong sense of empathy among the readers because the poem does not provide details about Icarus’ identity, and the readers may be unfamiliar with him. Even if the readers recognize him as the arrogant son who died by attempting to fly with artificial wings, the emotional effect of this poem is not as significant as the other due to the gap between mythology and reality. 

The most notable aspect of the poems is the poets’ use of imagery. Both Schwartz and Williams successfully portray the characters, surroundings, and actions with great detail. In The Swan at Edgewater Park, Schwartz utilizes sensory imagery to describe the surrounding of the swans such as “the whole stinking shoreline, candy wrappers, condoms in its tidal fringe” (Ruth L. Schwartz). By doing so, Schwartz creates a visualization of the swan’s poor habitat as if the readers were personally experiencing the environment with trash and a pungent smell. Meanwhile, Schwartz also contrasts with the previous description of “some pristine pond”. Her use of imagery informs the readers that the majestic swans have a completely different life than the dirty swans, which refers to Lorie’s situation. 

Similarly, Williams incorporates imagery as well to depict the landscape. He writes “a farmer was ploughing his field/the whole pageantry/of the year was/awake tingling/near/the edge of the sea/concerned/with itself”, leading the readers to envision the setting where Icarus fell (William C. Williams). Williams’ description reflects a mundane scenery in the spring, which parallels the poem’s nonchalant theme but also emphasizes Icarus’ accident later in the poem. Not only does Schwartz’s and Williams’ use of imagery make a dramatic impact on the readers’ imagination and interpretation of the poems, but it also helps the poets convey their ideas. 

The Swan at Edgewater Park shows the reality of society and humanity. Lorie once had a dream and possibilities in her teenage years, but the lack of guidance and good choices caused her to be in the life she is in today. Just like the dirty swan, Lorie is the product of her environment. It is easy for others to judge Lorie like the Clevelanders judge the dirty swan as a “big duck”, and her inability to pave the correct path for herself. However, what others do not see are the societal factors that pushed Lorie to the cynical life she lives. Apathy, inequality, and illnesses could all be reasons that compelled Lorie to choose to be the “dirty swan”. Schwartz writes that Lorie struggles with smoking and does not take much care of her child and family. This results from living in a society where the weak and poor are ignored. Lorie and her family may not have the access to a better life due to the indifference of others and the inequality in society. Therefore, Lorie continues living this life without making any changes because her situation is neglected in the bigger context of the world. Schwartz conveys that humans are malleable to their environment, and no matter how strong a person is, there will always be an invincible force greater than the human condition, leading humans to despair. 

Landscape with the Fall of Icarus also elaborates on the idea of a greater being, which is nature. Williams explains that people are always too self-centered and ignorant to care for others. Williams writes that Icarus fell and drowned “unsignificantly off the coast” where “there was a splash quite unnoticed” (William C. Williams). Williams explains that Icarus’ tragedy was insignificant compared to nature, but it was preventable if humans were less focused on themselves. The Swan at Edgewater Park and Landscape with the Fall of Icarus both suggest that if humans cared more about others and their surroundings, they could become stronger collectively. However, this is an unreachable goal since humans are flawed by greed, vulnerability, and egoism, and they always submit to nature. Therefore, The Swan at Edgewater Park and Landscape with the Fall of Icarus are both critiques of humanity. 

Even though their poems differ in poetic styles, themes, and tones, Schwartz and Williams express their reverence towards nature and acknowledge the weaknesses of mankind. Their use of imagery allows the readers to resonate with the main ideas and connect with the characters. The Swan at Edgewater Park and Landscape with the Fall of Icarus exemplify the power of poetry in conveying profound messages in creative ways. The comparison of these poems showcases that poetry incorporates diverse ways of writing and thinking, and there are no limitations.