Race and Film: Correlation between African Americans in Film and Societal Attitudes | Teen Ink

Race and Film: Correlation between African Americans in Film and Societal Attitudes

By kennedyp10 BRONZE, Chattanooga, Tennessee
kennedyp10 BRONZE, Chattanooga, Tennessee

Introduction
Media is a platform that is growing more and more every day. Not only has it become intertwined in the daily lives of people all around the world, but it has become a staple in living a more efficient life. When it comes to being up to date on what is going on in the world, the first place to look is the media whether that be an app on a phone, a news channel on the television, or even the newspaper. Whatever the case is, media is all around society as it continues to grow. Media is not only used to inform the public but to persuade the public to specific ideologies and ideas. Movies and even tv shows use the world as its oyster to shed light on anything. Media can be used to inform the public of what's going on in the world but it can also be manipulated to take advantage of the influence it has on other people's perspectives on life. In America, the film is a strong instrument. Americans pay millions upon millions of dollars to see the latest flicks at cinemas around the country. The film is both educational and entertaining. However, movies intended merely for pleasure are frequently taken as fact by the general public, altering their viewpoint. This study will determine if there is a link between the representation of African Americans and the shift in attitudes and behaviors toward them in a more progressive society.

Literature Review
The main component in understanding race and film, one must define them to get a clear understanding of the two complex frameworks before correlating them.
According to the oxford dictionary, race is defined as any one of the groups that humans are often divided into based on physical traits. In sociology race in itself is defined as a human classification system, socially constructed to separate groups of people who share phenotypic characteristics. (Rashawn Ray, Nicole DeLoatch 2018) Keep in mind that sociology studies the behavior and functions of a society. The definition has been given to show that race in itself is not biological, race isn’t something one is not born with, biologically speaking. In conclusion, there is only one race, the human race. However, this societal categorization has become pertinent to the everyday lives of Americans. Race is used as an identifier and is implemented in various American systems, such as voting for the president, registering for college, and taking the ACT. All of these platforms do not base the conclusions on race in any way, it is still included as an identifier despite not holding any weight in the grand scheme of things. Ray and DeLoatch examine the sociology of race and the social construction of race in systematic structures. Ray and DeLoatch emphasize the significance of defining race in sociology to understand the intersectionality framework. Merriam-Websterr defines the term as. “The complex, cumulative way in which the effects of multiple forms of discrimination (such as racism, sexism, and classism) combine, overlap, or intersect especially in the experiences of marginalized individuals or groups.” Essentially all of the distinct groups of humans are divided in- race, sex, religion, nationality,- interact with one another by overlapping with systems of discrimination or disadvantage. This idea also correlates with the critically acclaimed critical race theory. William Edward Burghardt Du Bois, American sociologist, historian, and civil rights activist, discusses this idea of critical race theory in one of his early works ‘The Souls of Black Folk’. From 1868 through 1963, W.E.B. Du Bois was an outstanding African American academic and activist. Du Bois was also one of the founders of the discipline of sociology, and he applied his sociological insights to the study of race and racism in American society, laying the foundation for sociology principles and critical race theory concerned with how race connects with other social identities (such as gender, class, and sexuality) to build and sustain oppressive and unequal institutions. Du Bois' insights on the social construction of race and the significance of historical context influenced the development of critical race theory (CRT). In his book, ‘The Souls of Black Folk’ Du Bois dives into his concept of "double consciousness," which refers to the sense of both being American and Black. Thus looking at the conflict between the two identities battling each other in a never-ending cycle. He also used his sociological knowledge to investigate race and racism in American society. CRT is a paradigm concerned with how race connects with other social identities to produce and sustain disparities in social institutions. CRT emphasizes the importance of acknowledging that power and privilege play a major role in shaping social relations and argues that racism is a systemic and institutionalized phenomenon that is deeply embedded in American society, rather than the result of individual prejudice or bias. Du Bois' contributions to sociology were instrumental in challenging dominant narratives about race and inequality in the United States and laying the foundation for a more critical and nuanced understanding of social issues. He introduced the concept of "double consciousness" in his book "The Souls of Black Folk" and conducted a groundbreaking sociological study of African American life in Philadelphia. He used the term "color line" to describe the division between white and black Americans, the "race relations cycle" to describe the cyclical nature of race relations in the United States, and Pan-Africanism to unite people of African descent around the world and promote their political and economic interests. His contributions to sociology were instrumental in challenging dominant narratives about race and inequality in the United States and laying the foundation for a more critical and nuanced understanding of social issues. Black people in the film have a complicated and nuanced past, shaped by a long and tragic history of slavery, segregation, and discrimination. Black people were frequently portrayed as caricatures in the early years of cinema, with exaggerated appearances and humorous characteristics. These images were demeaning and disrespectful, and they served to promote negative stereotypes and attitudes toward black people. Previous black film critiques, according to Mark Reid, "buried" the black film industry by focusing on films about but not created by blacks. Reid's survey of black independent films includes the turn of the century, the civil rights movement of the 1960s, and the modern resurgence of feminism in black cultural expression. Stereotype analyses focus on the idea that how African Americans are portrayed in cinema affects how they are seen by the wider public. "African-Americans have been the victim of erroneous historical and cultural ideology, whose finest promotion is a film and its byproduct, television," writes Donald Simpson (36). Similar research and polls show that African Americans are underrepresented in movies. There aren't many Blacks in films, but those who do prefer to play characters that are neutral, stagnant, or, better yet, one-dimensional. Furthermore, respondents have stated that they feel films starring African Americans are historically accurate. Tom was the first socially acceptable Black characterization. The "c**n" was shown to the public as a source of fun and buffoonery. Uncle Remus's quaintness, innocence, and funny philosophizing are his distinguishing characteristics. The Remus character represents the Black man's comfort with the system. The mulatto is a White man's wife and his Black mistress who have children together. The mother is larger in height, some would say fat and cantankerous. For a long time, African Americans have been objectified in movies. The Birth of a Nation, directed by David Wark Griffith and released in 1915, was the first picture to illustrate Hollywood cinema's potential scale. Regardless of the film's underlying message, extravagant productions can draw blockbuster ticket sales and a great amount of media attention and exposure. "As a consequence, the film has secured its position in film history." The only thing that has changed throughout the years is the extent to which racism and representation are excluded from cinema discourse" (Ellen). During the 1940s amidst the debate on whether or not America should still keep slavery as an institution, movies were made to put specific ideas into the public head. One of the most infamous movies of that time, Gone with the Wind, portrayed slaves being happy to be enslaved. This narrative pushes the idea to the public that even though everyone isn’t for slavery, it is that on the contrary black people loved being enslaved, the movie romanticizes the idea that African American people’s only purpose in life was to be kept enslaved. Media can manipulate people's views on life and people in the world. What one watches on tv has a big impact on their day-to-day life, it can even be reflected in how you look at people. Mass media manipulates narratives and turn them into their own special story to get their message across, but little do they know this could affect how other people see and view them in the real world. Films can steer people away from the authentic true meaning of what black people are in their minds and real life. There is a disconnect made by a film that makes it difficult to distinguish between reality and fiction. The history of black people in the film is rich and multidimensional, shaped by a long and tragic history of slavery, segregation, and discrimination. In the early days of cinema, black people were frequently portrayed as caricatures, with exaggerated appearances and humorous characteristics. These images were disrespectful and degrading, and they were utilized to perpetuate negative preconceptions and attitudes about black people. The figure of "Sambo," who initially featured in a series of silent films in the early 1900s, was one of the earliest examples of this style of caricature. Sambo was characterized as a slacker and shiftless black man who was constantly getting into mischief and wreaking havoc. This figure offended black audiences, who perceived it as a mirror of the bigotry and injustice they encountered on a daily basis. Despite these negative portrayals, black people began to make a name for themselves in the film industry in the early twentieth century. Oscar Micheaux, a pioneering director who made a number of films with all-black casts in the 1920s and 1930s, was another major figure in the early history of black people in film. Micheaux's films were frequently contentious, as they addressed subjects such as lynching, racism, and the difficulties experienced by black people in the United States. Despite major barriers and criticism, Micheaux persisted in his efforts to tell black people's lives on film. The 1950s and 1960s were a period of considerable change in film for black people, as the civil rights movement gained traction and black people began to demand greater representation and respect in the business. "The Defiant Ones," which was released in 1958 and starred Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis as two escaped convicts, one black and one white, who are forced to work together to dodge the authorities, was one of the most important pictures of the age. The film was pioneering in its depiction of a pleasant connection between a black and a white character, and it helped to break down some of Hollywood's racial barriers at the time. Black people began to establish themselves more firmly in the film business in the 1970s, both in front of and behind the camera. "Shaft," which was released in 1971 and starred Richard Roundtree as a private detective who takes on the criminal underground in New York City, was one of the most important pictures of the age. The film was a tremendous economic success and helped to establish the blaxploitation genre, which featured mostly black casts and dealt with topics like crime, poverty, and racism. Blaxploitation films were often made independently and on extremely cheap budgets. Black-exploitation films were mostly made by black crews for black audiences, yet they gained wider appeal around the world. Despite these achievements, black people have faced significant barriers and discrimination in the film industry throughout the latter half of the twentieth century.

Methodology
The main design for this research is based on determining whether there is a correlation between the film industry's portrayal of African Americans over various periods to see if there have been continuities and changes going into the 21 century. Thus looking at whether there is a correlation between society's attitudes toward African Americans with the aid of film. The basis of the movie will show both positive and negative portrayals of African Americans thus looking at whether or not this perception develops and shapes their idea of African Americans in real life. will analyze the difference in people's attitudes and feelings toward African Americans, essentially looking at if there’s a paradigm shift in the 21 century. The essence of this study will look at whether or not there is a present paradigm shift in people's lives today or do people of different ages still hold the portrayals of black people in society today. This correlation survey is observationally based, therefore the overall results yielded from the survey will speak for themselves. There will be no controls nor will there be any focus groups. The problem this research will analyze is whether or not media such as film holds a profound impact on how society views others and the hierarchies put in place over time despite social progression and change. To thoroughly analyze this discipline this research will use surveys to collect data on people’s responses to the film. This instrument will garner the best results for this research topic because it allows the survey takers to explain how these films make their films and how they perceive African Americans before and after watching. It will range from looking at the emotional responses as well as their responses to the impact it has on their thoughts on everyday life. The survey will essentially make the surveyor look at their philosophical views of how they view the people in their neighborhood, community, city, state, country, and world.
This research will use a mixed method to gather thorough responses from the survey. The majority of the data collected focuses on quantitative; qualitative allows for a deeper understanding of people's thoughts allowing them to show whether or not a pattern emerges. The majority of the data will look at the quantitative side of the data but the quantitative data creates a balance to determine and look at people's thoughts and overall general thoughts.
This study will consist of people ranging from ages 13-75 from all ethnic backgrounds: Asian, Caucasian, Eastern Indian, African American, Mixed, Hispanic, Latin American, etc. Each age group will be broken into categories based on demographics and ethnicities. This interval will be broken down into even smaller increments. Categories ranging from 13-16, 17-20, 21-40, and 41-75. These categories will then be organized into races, to get a consensus for the demographics section. Each group will be based on age, race, and gender. The participants are picked at random, therefore any and everybody fitting in the age range can take the survey. The age range is restricted due to the subject matter in these movies which is meant for mature audiences. Therefore, to run everything efficiently there must be a specified age range. Despite the clips not having any graphic or illicit scenes, there is a section that describes what is going on in the scene and its relation to the movie altogether. Topics such as physical and emotional abuse, depression, themes of suicide, and enslavement. There will be a trigger warning at the beginning of the survey that tells the survey taker of the subject matter present in the summary of the film but not explicitly in the clips being watched. Even though there is an age cap, the survey taker has the option to take or not to take the survey due to the subject matter and whether or not they deem themselves mature enough to proceed accordingly. Three factors are taken into consideration to determine who needs to be in which movie group. All responses will range within the set age increment but with a mixture of each racial background. This is to ensure that everyone gets to watch age-appropriate movies. The participants will come from all over the southeastern United States. There were three films picked- American History X, Mid90s, and Waves. Waves follow the epic emotional journey of a suburban African-American family—led by a well-intentioned but domineering father—as they navigate love, forgiveness, and coming together in the aftermath of a loss, set against the vibrant landscape of South Florida and featuring an astonishing ensemble of award-winning actors and breakouts alike. From acclaimed director Trey Edward Shults, Waves is a heartrending story about the universal capacity for compassion and growth even in the darkest of times. Stevie, 13, lives in Palms, Los Angeles, with his abusive and borderline violent older brother Ian and single mother Dabney 1996. Stevie bikes past Motor Avenue Skateshop one day, admires the bravado of the skateboarders outside, and returns the next day. Ray (Na-kel Smith), the group's leader, is the only one without a nickname and appears to be more mature than the rest. He fantasizes about "going pro" in skateboarding, which became a real option in the mid-'90s. F*cksh*t (Olan Prenatt), Ray's best friend with long blonde Twisted Sister curls, is nicknamed F*cksh*t because he prefaces every sentence by saying, "F***ck." Sh*t." Fourth Grade (Ryder McLaughlin), so titled because of his intellectual level, photographs their skating excursions with a small camcorder. Finally, there's the insecure Ruben (Gio Galicia), who takes Stevie under his wing, giving him poor advice ("Don't thank people because they'll think you're gay") and rolling his eyes whenever Stevie makes a social faux pas. Fear of being "gay" or being viewed as gay, even by something as simple as decent manners, is unavoidable. The unquestionably destructive rules of "manhood" already govern these children. There aren't many adults in the film. Women are nonexistent in both the greater world and the skateboarding world, with the exception of Stevie's mother and one girl Stevie encounters at a party.

Data Analysis Method
Relying on inferential data to aggregate the data collected from the survey. There were several ways to interpret the data but the ultimate decision was to look at it from a correlational point of view. There are two types of statistical strategies to understand the relationship between two or more variables- regression and correlation. The degree to which the two variables can move together is specified by correlation. Regression, however, identifies the impact of a change in the unit in the known variable (p) on the variable being evaluated (q). The relationship between the two variables is made up in part by correlation. Through the scope of correlation analysis, correlation's primary goal is to enable researchers to determine whether two variables are associated or not. One can gauge how strongly these variables are associated when they are correlated. Finding a numerical number that illustrates the connection between the two variables and how they move together is the overall goal of correlation analysis. One major advantage of correlation is that it summarizes the relationship between the two variables more concisely and precisely than regression does. Regression is the process of determining how two variables interact, establishing a cause and effect, hence one changes, and vice versa, and not always in the same direction. With correlation, the variables move together. Correlation is the best place to start when investigating a relationship because it enables researchers to ascertain the direction and strength of a relationship in order to concentrate and narrow down their findings for future research. However, some drawbacks to this study can be further researched and developed in the future. To best determine this relationship the Pearson’s correlation coefficient r was used to ultimately determine if was a relationship between the two variables given the data from the survey.

Limitations
There were several limitations. Need more participants, especially African Americans
needed more representation of different generations. Didn’t show the full length of the films which hindered viewers from getting the entire experience from seeing the entire movie instead of choice clips with context but the two don’t have the same magnitude/ effect paradigm shift.
Failed to get approval on movie nights which decreased the magnitude of the viewer’s reaction/ attitude toward the themes presented in the films. How you thought the gap would be filled vs how it was actually filled. Initially, the researcher hypothesized that the study would show that there still are disparities in the proper representation of black people in the film industry that play up to viewers are used to seeing or creating this dramatic character to increase views and success but it can be seen that there is no need for filling black people with stereotypical characters/ parts to be successful in the movie business and in the genre of black film. The black film genre consists of the main cast/ characters having African American actors/ actresses. It is true that there has been a paradigm shift in the sense that media will have an effect on the way some people think, but overall showing small moments in films doesn’t affect how people ultimately think for themselves. In comparison with other studies, such as Tina Kubrak’s “Impact of Films: Changes in Young People’s Attitudes after Watching a Movie”, which evaluated the relationship between adolescent teen's ideals of elderly people before and after watching a movie. In the same facet, both studies focus on the paradigm shift between the audience after the film gauging the scale to which they were influenced. However, Kurbrak’s study wasn’t taken into account geographical locations, therefore this data cannot be used in terms of advancing anything in African American cinema in the United States.

Future studies
There are a couple of things that could be modified in the future. There needs to be more participants ranging from different ages, regional backgrounds, and races. Considering this is a study that focuses on the portrayal of black people, there needs to be some insight from African Americans themselves. Show the movies in their entirety. Coil even furthers this study by looking into motion pictures backed by famous entertainment companies- Lionsgate, universal studios, warner brothers- versus independent or indie films. Then one could analyze how these films differ in representation, budget, and rhetoric in portraying themes. Are there major differences seen when directed by a bigger name when putting black people on screen or putting them into “stereotypical roles” Could even further that by looking into black cinema black directors vs white directors, Asian directors, etc. Then look at whether or not there on disparities in reflecting the lives of black people clearly or on the cusp of smudging lines because of. Lack of black directors directing black films or even films in general and see why there are so few black directors in the entertainment/ cinema business. Because of the increased presence in the film industry, look at the positive effects it has on the newer generation when it comes to treating everyone equally and with respect. Because of increased representation, does that boost the morale of black children/ students to believe they can achieve their goals in life, and that the world is at their fingertips? Effects of increased film Focus group and conduct an experiment on

Implications
In the field itself, you can definitely see that there have been some changes over time which is a tremendous thing since society has faced several setbacks in the past few years the world is still progressing into an inclusive society where all are gaining the right of being treated equally.
Shows that there is an improvement in the fair representation of people in the media, but most felt irreverent about the part black people play in films. This study shows the importance of representation because it does have an effect on the minds of society and it can influence- positively or negatively- how society interacts with one another. This study will add knowledge of the disparities in the film industry when it comes to the depiction of African Americans in film. Nonetheless, my paper will demonstrate how the use of film is a powerful tool that uses specific tactics to get a specific message across to the audience. Showcases how the film industry uses its power to create a specific image that represents African Americans. Readers will gain an understanding of the evolution of African Americans in films based on the world around them. This might include major global events, such as WW2, and the films that were produced following the post-war era in the United States. Demonstrating the timeline of how the image of African Americans has changed over time because of social progress.

Bibliography

Scott, Ellen. “Regulating ‘N*gger’: Racial Offense, African American Activists, and the
MPPDA, 1928–1961.” Film History, vol. 26, no. 4, 2014, p. 1.,https ://doi.org /10.2979
/filmhi story.26.4.1.

Simpson, Donald. “Black Images in Film—the 1940s to the Early 1960s.” The Black Scholar, vol. 21, no. 2, 1990, pp. 20–29., doi.org/10.1080/00064246.1990.11412964.

St. Clair Bourne. “THE AFRICAN AMERICAN IMAGE IN AMERICAN CINEMA.” The Black Scholar, vol. 21, no. 2, 1990, pp. 12–19. JSTOR, jstor.org/stable/41067680. Accessed 27 Mar. 2023.
Boston, 677 Huntington Avenue, and Ma 02115 +1495‑1000. “Substantial Racial Stereotyping toward Young Children of Color Found among White Adults Who Work with Them.” News, 12 Sept. 2018, www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/substantial-racial-stereotyping-toward-young-children-of-color-found-among-white-adults-who-work-with-them/.
Deutsche Welle , and Kira Schacht. “What Hollywood Movies Do to Perpetuate Racial Stereotypes | DW | 21.02.2019.” DW.COM, 21 Feb. 2019, www.dw.com/en/hollywood-movies-stereotypes-prejudice-data-analysis/a-47561660.
Fiske, Susan T., et al. “IMAGES of BLACK AMERICANS.” Du Bois Review: Social Science Research on Race, vol. 6, no. 1, 2009, pp. 83–101, doi.org/10.1017/s1742058x0909002x.
Ford, Thomas E. “Effects of Stereotypical Television Portrayals of African-Americans on Person Perception.” Social Psychology Quarterly, vol. 60, no. 3, Sept. 1997, p. 266, doi.org/10.2307/2787086.
“From Servants to Outlaws: 100 Years of Black Representation in Hollywood Films.” CBC, Apr. 2021, www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/from-servants-to-outlaws-100-years-of-black-representation-in-hollywood-films-1.5953758.
Guerrero, Ed. “Framing Blackness.” Goodreads.com, 2014, www.goodreads.com/book/show/721634.Framing_Blackness. Accessed 27 Jan. 2020.
Kubrak, Tina. “Impact of Films: Changes in Young People’s Attitudes after Watching a Movie.” Behavioral Sciences, vol. 10, no. 5, 2 May 2020, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7288198/, doi.org/10.3390/bs10050086.
Leiter, Andrew. “Summary of the Souls of Black Folk; Essays and Sketches.” Unc.edu, 2019, docsouth.unc.edu/church/duboissouls/summary.html.
Magazine Pro Theme. “List of Theories.” Film Theory, 17 May 2015, www.filmtheory.org/list-of-theories/#:~:text=Beur%20Cinema-. Accessed 28 Apr. 2023.
Morin, Amy. “How Much Damage Can Racial Stereotyping Cause?” Verywell Mind, 31 July 2020, www.verywellmind.com/harmful-psychological-effects-of-racial-stereotyping-5069394.
Priest, Naomi, et al. “Stereotyping across Intersections of Race and Age: Racial Stereotyping among White Adults Working with Children.” PLOS ONE, vol. 13, no. 9, 12 Sept. 2018, p. e0201696, journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0201696, doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0201696.
Sharman, Russell. “African Americans in Cinema.” Uark.pressbooks.pub, 18 May 2020, uark.pressbooks.pub/movingpictures/chapter/african-americans-in-cinema/. Accessed 28 Apr. 2023.

Green, Dan S., and Earl Smith. “W.E.B. DuBois and the Concepts of Race and Class.” Phylon (1960-), vol. 44, no. 4, 1983, pp. 262–72. JSTOR, doi.org/10.2307/274576. Accessed 29 Mar. 2023.

This article reviews the continuities and changes in the portrayal of African Americans in film throughout the United States, along with the historical background to contextualize the movie. The study further dives into the idea that cinema affects the way society views one another, which can be seen in early 20th-century American films, such as Gone with the Wind. The researcher goes on to analyze whether or not this idea reins true in a more progressive society in the 21st century. The researcher focuses on three movies of choice: Waves, Mid-90s, and American History X. The researcher sent out a survey with clips of the movie along with a summary of each. To that end, the clips are followed with questions for the participants to answer, including multiple-choice and free responses. The results found that there is a correlation between the portrayal of African Americans in film and how society views black people specifically.