How to Overcome ADHD and Procrastination to Power Through Assignments | Teen Ink

How to Overcome ADHD and Procrastination to Power Through Assignments

April 29, 2023
By LukeRMacNaughton SILVER, Honolulu, Hawaii
LukeRMacNaughton SILVER, Honolulu, Hawaii
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). As a result, I have trouble both starting and finishing assignments, no matter their topic or discipline. Particularly when it comes to long, sustained assignments, like essays or research papers, there is not only a struggle to figure out what I want to write about but to actually make my way through the composition. For those who also have ADHD, as well as for those struggling with procrastination, my experience overcoming both may prove useful in your own academic endeavors. If you’ve ever spent two to three hours trying to complete an assignment that your classmates can knock out in less than an hour, this article is for you.

Not all individuals with ADHD have the same type of the disorder. In fact, there are three types,
● Type 1: Inattentive/distractible.
● Type 2: Impulsive/Hyperactive.
● Type 3: The combination of both.


Different types of ADHD have different needs. However, my faithful reader, you’re in luck because as an individual with Type 3 ADHD, I have endured the full spectrum of ADHD obstacles and their resolutions.


Advice #1: Take Your Prescribed Medicine
If you have ADHD, the first thing to do is take the medicine prescribed to you by your doctor. Yes, it can have negative side effects. For instance, it has caused me drowsiness (yet, based on when I take it, also prevents me from sleeping at a normal hour), contributes to depression, and even decreases my desire to eat. However, the medication serves its primary function by altering the chemical balance in the brain. These substances do not work if they are not consumed regularly. In order for the benefits of these medications to be realized, take your medication consistently, and in the proper dosage.
Nevertheless, just taking medication is not going to solve poor concentration, hyperactivity, and procrastination on its own. If you, like me, keep telling yourself that “I’ll start after this show,” or “Just one more hour,” you’ll never actually start your assignments. There is always another episode, another live stream, and another influencer to check out and follow. Better to prioritize your assignments, first, and use your entertainment as a reward for a job well done (and done).


Advice 2: Go to a Place that Encourages You to Be Productive

Whether you enjoy being by yourself or around other people, loud spaces or quiet ones, go wherever you feel comfortable and can be productive. For me, that’s the library. No, it’s not the quiet, necessarily; it’s being around other motivated people. Just knowing that there are other people studying nearby who will, occasionally, look up and see me studying, keeps me focused on my own materials. I don’t need to talk to anyone. I don’t need to ask anyone for help. Just being in that space is enough to make me feel more responsible and more motivated. Find the place or places where you feel similarly and go there to do your homework, particularly longer and more intense assignments that would otherwise be difficult to start and finish.


Advice #3: Call a Friend
When I cannot go to the library, either because it’s closed because of the time of day, or perhaps because I’m feeling sick, I call a friend. By calling a friend, I create the same kind of environment I need to feel accountable. Having someone else on the line who can hear if I’m not working makes me feel like I need to work and be productive. Particularly because my friends will say, “Luke, what are you doing?” when they hear me loading a YouTube clip or a video game, I know that having someone on the line will encourage me to do my homework. The key to this tactic, though, is to have a friend you do not want to disappoint who can also be productive on the phone with you. If the two of you distract each other, it undermines the mission. If you’re thinking of someone likely to distract you, think again and phone a different friend.

Advice #4: Listen to Non-Distracting Music
When the library isn’t accessible and my friends aren’t reachable, I listen to music, and you should consider doing that as well. However, there are some important pointers here. First, do not pick music with distracting lyrics. The key is to pick mellow music. If the song makes you want to dance, that’s too uplifting and those are the wrong tunes. You should feel a beat that you can type to. Second, don’t pick music that will give you a headache from trying to listen to the music and do your homework at the same time. Think of the music as your background music, as the soundtrack to your life. The audience can hear it but you cannot. This means that your music should not be too loud. It should blend into the environment, allowing you to be productive. It shouldn’t distract you from what you’re trying to accomplish: your homework.
If you are interested in what I listen to, then follow me on Spotify. My username is “MacNaughty” and my playlist is called “🎧🎺🎷”.

If you ever find yourself not wanting to do homework, and or are constantly getting distracted, try some of my strategies out. You may be surprised by how effective they are.


The author's comments:

I ADHD and dyslexia, and so I have trouble doing my homework. Here are some strategies that I utilize when trying to do do homework.