SKIN COLOR AND HOW IT EFFECTS REPRESENTATION | Teen Ink

SKIN COLOR AND HOW IT EFFECTS REPRESENTATION

March 8, 2023
By jmoorhead BRONZE, New York City, New York
jmoorhead BRONZE, New York City, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Race has effect on your representation. Depending on the product different people are chosen depending on their look and especially skin color. In this unit we studied the effect of race and how the color of skin impacts if your represented fairly. At first based off our previous knowledge we hypothesized that lighter skin colors were represented a lot more in article and ads, but after further studies we discovered that thats not nesesairily true. There could be bias within the collection of data because you can misclick and click on a shirt instead of the actual skin color. This exploration of skin color was very interesting and fun because it was something that could potentially be a problem. 

 

Scatterplot from conde nast, created by Jasper Moorhead

 

This graph represents the different skin tones we found throughout Conde Nast articles and advertisements. As you can see there is are more variations of lighter colors and more points twords the light end of the color spectrum. This helps the arguments that lighter skin tones are preferred to represent and advertise different things. There is bias toward the lighter skin tones. 

 

Bar graph from conde nast, created by Jasper moorhead


This data is from Conde Nast article end ads, it demonstrates that in fact there is no special bias towards lighter skin color. The skin colors are mostly evenly represented except for the lightest bar, the first bar. Each color has been represented around 20 times which make them all similar in representation. This contradicts the original claim that light skin is more represented in article and ads.  


This data is somewhat strong but it also has some limitations. For this article and ads it demonstrates well the representation of skin color and is effective. It does not however represent every article and its skin representation, therefore it is limited. It is only unique to conde nast articles, the data is not effective when talking about any other article. 


Throughout this study we have learn many things, our original hypothesis got proved wrong from the data we collected in the exploration. In the conde nast articles and ads selction very light skin is not as favored. The representation is somewhat similar for each skin color. The data is strong and useable for the article but its limits are reached once you travel and look at different articles where the data is not applicable. There is also some bias within the article as well that cant really be controlled, when we are collecting the data. 

 

 

 

WORKS CITED

Conde Nast Traveler, 01 September 2021, drive.google.com/file/d/1m4CmDViODFnjA_Q4tGDilloDPec4CQ7b/view?usp=sharing. Accessed 2 Feb. 2023. 
@FentyBeauty. "50 Shades of Foundation." Instagram, 12 September 2017, instagram.com/p/BY9PocNlkFm/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=39d3c621-b3c6-47ec-bdc0-88893b8dc152.

APPENDIX 

docs.google.com/document/d/1Pd0sv9AWR2bSe_2u-pBz3lP2eRNKsv5MCUDaxJghY8A/edit 
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qma4XUUcl8lrDxgLcedbjTU3ugTgiV2lO-7r9yHKBCY/edit#gid=0 


The author's comments:

im in 9th grade and did this for data science

Images:

docs.google.com/document/d/1eovPQOVXeomN8HCPG5PdgSYhvoAqAfASjFx1fJVg4pM/edit