The Responsible Disposal of E-wastes | Teen Ink

The Responsible Disposal of E-wastes

By jolinthefirst BRONZE, Laguna Hill, California
jolinthefirst BRONZE, Laguna Hill, California

“Goal setting is the secret to a compelling future.” — Tony Robbins

E-waste is discarded electrical equipment that damages the environment, but people are not fully aware of the harmful consequences until recently. E-wastes cause air pollution and even contaminate soil if dumped illegally. Therefore, there must be certain precautions to take into account the increasing production of E-waste.

One solution is to recognize the need for new education opportunities for citizens to learn how to properly dispose of old electronics. First, the United Nation will partner with different NGOs and organizations to reach the widest variety of people possible; since organizations such as IEMN already have the resources to complete education of E-waste workers. Next, they will visit areas and hold training events for companies that lack the proactive electronic waste protocols. Following, the United Nation will create campaigns to spread awareness on social media sites such as Instagram and Youtube. The result is expected that people will be aware of the growing e-wastes and start thinking of ways to make the environment better by correctly disposing of them. 

Another solution is to create new legislation to encourage the decrease of E-waste. The government will pass a law minimizing the number of upgrades companies can implement per year. This will allow companies to increase the quality of their products while decreasing the amount of E-waste. However, countries that exceed a certain limit of E-waste relative to size will face certain consequences depending on the severity. Furthermore, the government will pass a law to make burning E-waste illegal. Companies that are producing E-waste are expected to recycle any electronics that are abandoned and discarded with safety in mind. Any person caught burning E-waste will be fined the amount of money the E-waste.

The final solution is to fund more research to seek additional biotechnology methods for greener methods. Companies are aiming to increase the efficiency and rates of recollection and safe disassembly of E-waste. One solution is to further invest in the Norwegian-based Norwegian-based company TOMORA’s. This company increases the efficiency of recycling facilities by up to 300%. Apart from that, another solution is Iron Mountain’s Teraware technology. This technology will prevent the destruction of hard disks for data security. 

I recognize the important opportunity to improve the environment through education to the companies, government, and citizens. In this way, I am holding an optimistic view that the problem of E-waste will be solved in a short time. 

I am a student at Santa Margarita Catholic high school. I urged people to start thinking of the environment now rather than too late. This piece aims to provide ideas for the United Nation and the UN Environmental Programme about the solutions for E-waste and ways to minimize them.