the first and the last one | Teen Ink

the first and the last one

By TomOtte13 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
TomOtte13 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

It was his first truck an 05 379 Peterbilt I loved that truck we all did. He got it five 5 years ago. I remember going to every place with him, I especially loved that truck's custom dash, new interior, stacks, and herd bumper.  I remember going all over in that truck. I remember going to Wyoming with him once we were going through the mountains. It was gorgeous, it took 3 to 4 hours to reach the other side. There were runaway ramps that made me nervous. When I saw them when we were almost to the top, and I saw an elk crossing sign I thought that was super cool. I remember the pine trees and the cliffs towards the bottom. At the top, there was a resort. It was perfect, it looked like something you would see in a movie, wind whipping, little snow coming downlights outside it was beautiful. Towards the bottom, there were 4 super sharp turns, and they were all by cliffs. It was freaky at the time but in the end, it was well worth it, it was the scariest but also the coolest thing I had ever seen before. 

As I was getting older I realized I wanted to drive a truck. This is what I want to do when I grow up. I remember loading my dad's trailer with cattle for the first time. It was scary but awesome at the same time. I walked behind keeping some distance making some noise, like a whistling sound saying “hey cow”. I had my hotshot in one hand just in case one turned around, I would be ready.  After I got the top of the trailer loaded, I lifted the ramp to go to the top and shut the gate, then got the belly ready to be loaded. I remember giving a cow a little shock with my hotshot, after I zapped her she kicked at me almost hitting me in the head it was super scary. It was also funny at the same time. I was just super happy I didn’t get kicked in the head and get hurt.

As I got older he told me he was thinking about selling it. I remember asking him “why I think you loved this truck?”. He had told me that he did love that truck, but he wanted to be home more, and not be working 7 days a week. He also wanted to be able to see us and do stuff with us as well. He also said his mental health wasn't very good either.

I slowly learned and still am learning that mental health and the other problems are better than having that truck. Although, I still think about that truck and what would have happened if he would have kept it. With all this being said, it's better to have someone being here than not. He had told me that when he almost got in an accident. He had told me that he had fallen asleep from not getting enough sleep, and almost crashed once. I had reconsidered and would rather have my dad than have him gone. He's more important than a truck. Although I loved that truck and wanted him to keep it he was more important than that truck.

Even though he doesn't have that truck anymore, my dream is to still drive the truck. Hopefully, one day to have his old truck back, and be able to drive that.  In conclusion, I would rather have my dad around than an old 379 Peterbilt. He is more important than that truck.