Florida Introduces new law which causes controversy. | Teen Ink

Florida Introduces new law which causes controversy.

January 25, 2022
By dillonjusufi BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
dillonjusufi BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Do you remember the time when you were in school, learning with the teacher and no issues to worry about. Today Florida introduced a bill which would put cameras and mics in the classroom, recording students and teachers without their consent. According to NBC Miami, “Representatives introduced HB 1055. School districts would require camera feeds to be installed in classrooms, teachers would be required to wear microphones” (NBC Miami). The pros of this are almost nothing . . . The issue with this is watching people without their consent and as a student, I would not like this. Aside from the privacy concerns, this is an issue the school needs to handle with their students. Along with the privacy concerns, how could the school think that this is ok? They are not the ones being recorded without them even knowing. WFLA News Channel 8 states, “Principals would be in charge of all recordings, which must be kept for three months or “until the conclusion of any investigation or any administrative or legal proceedings.” After that, the video must be destroyed”. This adds some fairness to it but overall, it's still unfavored by the public and parents of students. All in all, I think I can speak for everyone when I say that this is not an update to classrooms we would like to see.


The author's comments:

My name is Dillon from NJ.