Surviving High School | Teen Ink

Surviving High School

January 20, 2022
By Anonymous

Obviously high school is a very messy place. New relationships, new friendships, jealous girls, mad boys. There's no way out. Luckily for me I have had some pretty good people around  me. I’ve lost a lot of friends. Not in the horrible way that dramas on TV shows portray. We just grew apart. When I got to middle school, my circle of friends changed completely. Not because we had a huge fall out, we just grew up. My first ever best friend and I stopped our friendship around 5th grade.  She has gone her own way and so have I. The best friend I lost last year hurt the most. We met in girl scouts. We couldn’t get away from each other. Eventually she started to act mean and toxic. I did what I thought was the best for my mental health. I didn’t talk to her the summer of 8th grade. I was completely devastated that I had to leave one of my life long friends. In the end, I don’t regret it at all. 

When you lose friends you gain friends. High school opens you up to a whole new environment. Towards the end of the year I made senior friends. Their graduation was incredibly painful. I held in my tears as my newest best friend Robert got his diploma. I’ve made so many freshmen friends. Surprisingly they aren't as bad as I thought they would act. A select few can act too much but what can you do? That new boy everyone went crazy over last year became a good friend toward the end of the year. It was hard to get him to actually talk to me, he's shy. We fell off this summer but got back on track when I asked him to homecoming this year. 

High school makes everyone confused. Half the time I don’t know what to do. I heard that one freshman could have a crush on me. It is awkward. That junior boy I'm friends with could possibly have a crush on me? It’s like everyone has a crush on me except the one boy I want to. 


The author's comments:

I just a 15 year old trying to make it out of high school alive.