Ocean & Beach Pollution | Teen Ink

Ocean & Beach Pollution

By kellyclore BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
kellyclore BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky

Have you ever gone to the beach and felt something was off? That it was cleaner the last time or the water felt warmer than it should or trash was everywhere? Five trillion, pieces of plastic are currently in the ocean. If is just plastic in the ocean, imagine what is on beaches and what kind of chemicals make up the plastics and the harm they can do to animals. They could be trapped or killed. Something needed to change and these problems need to be addressed and solved by the root of the pollution problem, humans.

Beach pollution (source) is a problem amongst the several issues facing our world today. They have many sources of how it is caused: wet discharge happens from precipitation, snowfall, and rainfall. Along with that, sewers can be overflowed and run into the beaches and waters. The polluted water runs into storm drains, rivers, lakes streams and the ocean. (plastic) Many people also leave their trash and unwanted items on the beaches like: plastic bottles, bags and cans.

The definition of pollution is a introduction to a environment that is harmful or hazardness. (ocean) The main pollution in the ocean fits into several different categories including : sewage, industrial chemicals, nuclear waste, thermal pollution, plastics, acid rain and oil spills. One of the major ones  are the oil spills. The spilling from boats, jet skis ect. creates a layer, that cause lack of oxygen, making marine life suffer. Another added pollution is sewage, that mainly comes from humans and become very harmful to ocean life. Chemicals and fertilizers from factories and farms are also hurt the pH levels in the ocean. Nuclear waste is playing factor in the harming of the ocean by the military and reprocessing plants, where procedures that uses radioactive material. This affects the whole food chain by coming through by kelp and plankton, and then being consumed by other sea life.

Aquatic animals go through a lot, but the sea turtle is most greatly impacted by the different types of danger introduced by humans. natural threats without are interfering with their oceans and beaches. (Information) Their predators include racoons, crabs and ants. These predators tend to bug sea turtles by eating their eggs , when they are left on the beaches by their mother. Not only do they have natural predators, us humans add lots of damage to our sea turtles lives and homes. Many people kill the turtles for their skin, shells, and jewelry making. This marine endangerment is caused by 80% of land plastics being made. The debris  and chemicals (buoys, plastic bags or bottles and rappers ect.) are eaten by the sea turtles. As well as, become stick or starve. Another thing that harms all naval animals is climate change, as temperatures change, beaches tend to fade and the waters start to get warmer. Then creates harder marine life reproduction and therefore creates a lack off the marine population itself.

There isn’t one easy way to fix all of the pollutions and restore the oceans and beaches. One solution, is to just plain and simple of keeping the air clean. Sometimes or when you can, (10 things) try to take walk instead of adding tainted gases and harmful chemicals into the environment. Also, limit the amount of fishing and be aware of the endangered species along our coastlines.  Reusable water bottles are also a good idea to prevent beaches from having overcrowded amounts of plastics surrounding the beaches. A lot of people don’t think about where there waste is going or if what they’re flushing down the toilet is harmful. Whatever you put into the toilets, go right back into the ocean. So, do everything you can to prevent impurity for marine life as a whole and its habitat.

“Why should we care so much about the ocean anyway? We can’t drink saltwater. Beaches are just for enjoyment.” While some people might think these things about our coasts, they’re a lot more than just a body of water.  As of 2014, 226,408 (did you know) named maritime life and maybe even several thousand or millions unnamed more. These are all important parts of are ecosystem that we need to keep around, not destroy. A reason why this is so important to me is, I love going to the beach with my family. Everyone deserves to enjoy and preserve our coastlines and water masses, by doing simple things like cleaning up and not releasing unnecessary gasses. By 2050, if we can stay on the track of reduction (ocean cleanup), we can have a plastic free ocean.  Disrupting our marine life neighbors is uncalled for. They do no harm to us. Whenever my family and I went on a vacation to South Carolina, we saw sharks close to the shore, when that isn’t where they are supposed to be. Us as humans, need to realize we are pushing marine life out of their habitat and making the beach a less enjoyable place.

Overall, a lot has happened to our oceans and beaches from pollution. This struggle will continue to occur and the problem will worsen and eventually all marine life will die one way or another. After oceans are so polluted and no marine life is left, we’ll probably die off too. So doing our part in keeping coastal communities clean to make sure animals like turtles are safe and far from harm is vital.

I am a eight grade student and chose to do a project for a GT class.