Patrick Henry Speech Analysis | Teen Ink

Patrick Henry Speech Analysis

In “Speech in the Virginia Convention,” Patrick Henry uses rhetorical question and parallelism to convince the people that a war against England is necessary and to make the people of the colonies think. Henry wants the people to realize that war is the only way for the people to be free: “But when shall we be stronger?” (Henry). The British king does not treat the people of 13 colonies well, and Patrick Henry wants to fight back. In this quote, Henry is asking when will the people be strong enough to rebel against the British rule. He wants the people to see what is wrong with the British monarchy and wants them to fight back. The only way that the people can become independent is through a war against England: “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?” (Henry). Patrick Henry continues to say that a war is necessary to free them from England. In this quote, Henry is asking if being treated like slaves is worth all the benefits that England gives them, which is not many. He asks if all the things they go through for the British is worth keeping the peace. By asking these questions, Henry makes the people think. Patrick Henry makes them realize that a war against the British is the only way that they could be free.

Patrick Henry uses parallelism to get the people to rebel against England. Henry wants them to see that this rebellion is necessary, so he gives them a little push: “We have petitioned; we have remonstrated; we have supplicated; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne” (Henry). In this quote, Patrick Henry is stating everything that the people have done for the English throne. This causes the people to see for themselves everything that they have been through and how it is not fair. As a result, the people get angry and rebel against the British. Patrick Henry repeats himself again to make the colonists think about their choices: “But as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!” (Henry). Patrick Henry ends his speech with this line, so the people are more likely to remember it. This also shows that Henry is willing to die for his freedom, and it makes them realize that they should be willing to give something up as well. Now, the people see that Patrick Henry takes this extremely seriously and that they take this seriously too. Henry uses parallelism to inspire and make the people of the colonies think about what is at stake for them.