Students Stress Level Increased By Having Too Much Homework | Teen Ink

Students Stress Level Increased By Having Too Much Homework

April 30, 2019
By PT BRONZE, Onalaska, Wisconsin
PT BRONZE, Onalaska, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A little stress is fine but too much stress isn’t good for your mental health. Stress can be motivation for students to thrive a little harder in each of their classes but it can backfire. Teachers gives us homework with good intentions because they’re preparing us for the future. However, too much homework can tire students out especially when they get homework in each of their classes.


There was a survey from Harvard that found out that students get most of their stress from academics, not social issues: " ‘A little stress is a good thing,’  Alvord says. ‘It can motivate students to be organized. But too much stress can backfire.’ In most cases, that stress is from academics, not social issues or bullying” (Neighmond). Based of the evidence that was given teachers shouldn’t give students so much homework to do and should do in class work instead of giving teens work to do because it’s a lot to handle in one day especially if a student have work or extracurriculars after school to do, this will eventually harm students mental health.


Since homework is making student stress it is also affecting their mental health.While homework makes students stress may be true it also ruins their health especially if there’s no balance. This can have a negative impact and there need to be a time when students can rest their mind.


Although you can take breaks in between school work it’s possible that you’ll eventually not end up doing your homework because taking an extensive break can make you go lazy and tired and this eventually ends to procrastination.


A research also found that too much homework could result in physical mental health problem, “The research, conducted among students from 10 high-performing high schools in upper-middle-class California communities, found that too much homework resulted in stress, physical health problems and a general lack of balance. 25% reported that homework was their biggest source of stress, and on average teens are spending one-third of their study time feeling stressed, anxious, or stuck” (Homework Wars).

In other words students can have health problems like having a headache or getting annoyed to the simplest thing that can irritates us and we can all agree that this has happened to us before.

Teens lack of sleep due to excessive homework. Teachers always ask why we’re so tired , or why do we keep falling asleep in class, well the answer is we don’t get enough sleep even if we try to sleep early, when has there been a time where you slept before 11? However, we try to go sleep early even if we don’t have our school work done.


There was a survey that conducted teens on how much sleep they get each night, “ The stress and excessive homework adds up to lost sleep, the BSC says. According to the survey, 57 percent of teenagers said that they don’t get enough sleep, with 67 reporting that they get just five to seven hours a night” (Mazziotta). In other words teens lack of sleep due to excessive homework and that leads to lack of sleep.


There may be other reasons that affects the outcome of stress that we get from school but from my point of view I thought that these were the most important to me and because I’ve experienced them before and sometimes it will also lead to procrastination.


The author's comments:

I chose this topic because the topic stood out to me and I thought schools should take in consideration to stop giving students so much homework.