The Kanun of Leke Dukagjini Explained | Teen Ink

The Kanun of Leke Dukagjini Explained

March 20, 2019
By Luiz. GOLD, Tirana, Other
Luiz. GOLD, Tirana, Other
12 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Fake Snake uuhh, Fake Snake Yahh- Lil Gega


 Leke Dukagjini, a medieval prince in the 15th century,  wrote a book, consisting the sets of laws for the people of Northern Albania. This book was named “Kanuni” or “Kanuni i Leke Dukagjinit”. The book was written during the 15th century, but some of these ‘laws’ still exist between the people of Northern Albania. The “Kanun” was very Catholic sided, which is what most of Northern Albanians identify as.
 

The Kanun has a lot of written rules about women as well. It talks about how women should stay home look after the children and never go out of the house to work, since  it is the husband’s job to bring money home and get the women to make them comfortable when they are at home at all times. In this time, people would not consider this normal, but in Northern Albania, some families still obey this rule. There weddings in the families, too, have rules of their own, about all of the traditions and the rules the couple shall follow. The weddings also strictly follow the catholic wedding rules. (Dukagjini 17)
   

The Catholic part of this book is very important. There are many laws addressing the issue that people should never disrespect the church. There are many consequences listed if someone disrespects the church, such as; paying beans or lambs to the church, getting arrested, getting your house burnt down, etc. The marriages and all of the crimes you can do as well relate to the religion. The church was the most respected in Northern Albania at the time and the Kanun had to address it.
   

The Kanun also addresses the right that the people have of Vendetta. For example, if a one family member is killed by a fellow family, the families are then in a Vendetta. There is not getting rid of the Vendetta, it only ends when all of the males of the family are dead, which is not common at all to occur. But, there still are some rules in the Vendetta as well; the children are not to be touched until they have turned 15 years old, the women are not to be touched either, and the males of the family cannot be killed until they step out of their home. These Vendettas still exist around Albania and it is a serious problems. Some foster care homes have even started to take the young males of the families in Vendettas to take care on them so that they don’t get murdered. (Lamaj)
   

The Kanun is the book of laws for the people of Northern Albania. It consists of various rules about marriages, the Catholic Religion, women, and the vendettas. To the population of Northern Albania women don’t really take a very high role. All they do is stay at home and take care of the children, while the men take care of the business and go to work. The Catholic side of the book is also very bold, it has many rules and consequences to people to offend or harm the church. At last, the rules of the vendettas that happen in Albania. There are many many rules that still apply today to the vendettas but Albania is now trying to stop all of the vendettas, to protect the people.