All We Want Is War, War, War, No Matter What | Teen Ink

All We Want Is War, War, War, No Matter What

By KatieBee723 SILVER, Gretna, La 70056, Louisiana
KatieBee723 SILVER, Gretna, La 70056, Louisiana

In order to encourage his people to start a war, Patrick Henry, the author of “Speech in the Virginia Convention,” uses repetition and rhetorical questions in his writing. The purpose of repetition is hearing a certain saying multiple times that will help the listeners understand a concept in hope of setting a lightbulb off in the listener's head. In this case, Henry keeps repeating aggressive words to get his people fired up in order to start a war. Repetition is the act of saying the same phrase time after time to point out the main ideas or thoughts of a person. An example of repetition shown in this well-known speech is Henry encouraging his people to stand up and fight Britain: “We must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight!” (Henry 204). Henry feels that they have no other choice but to fight for liberty; in order to get his point across and hopefully light a fire of determination, he repeats himself. This enforces the idea that there are no other options and how one is unable to sit around wishing for a new life when they could easily make their dream possible. Even though certain expenses are due, together with strength and unity,  they are able to defeat Britain. Henry also uses another example of repetition when he encourages the war to come: “Let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come!” (Henry 206). By stating this, Henry is telling the people that the war is not avoidable. Once it does come, his people should be ready for action in order to fight for their rights. This quote has the ability to affect one in many ways, but especially emotionally or pathos. By using these two examples of repetition, Henry is using key resources in order to establish his point for the essential need for the war.

Patrick Henry also uses rhetorical questions throughout his speech with confidence that it will enforce his people to go to war with Britain. The purpose of a rhetorical question is not to find a specific answer, but to ask an obvious question. Moreover, the answer will be clear to the audience in order to get a reaction out of them to turn into motivation for the war. An example of rhetorical questions in this speech used by Henry is when he asks the House of Burgesses when they will be stronger: “But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house?” (Henry 205). This quote really emphasizes Henry’s look at the time that they have to attack, reminding his people that now is the time to prove themselves. Eventually, it will be too late due to being taken over and weakness. The audience will be very emotionally affected by this phrase since Henry is telling them that it is now or never, whether or not they will live the rest of their lives in slavery. In addition, another example of a rhetorical question is used when Henry states his concerns about potential slavery: “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?” (Henry 206). Henry is stating that the life of his people should have greater worth than a price for a slave and in order to fight for their rights, they must go into war. Again, it is a question that is easily answered but shows no answer. Also, it is used for emphasis in hopes of a war outbreak and is hopefully allowing his people to question the importance of their lives instead of living it to do the deeds of another. Through these examples of rhetorical questions, another great asset to the speech of Patrick Henry, he is able to reinforce his idea of bloodshed for independence.