The Symbolism of Growth | Teen Ink

The Symbolism of Growth

In the Inexplicable Logic of my Life, the author, Benjamin Alire Sáenz, writes about Salvador’s growth. As an adopted child, Salvador Silva lives his life in peace with his gay father and his best friend, Samantha. With his passive persona becoming more aggressive, he wonders if his persona from the man whose genes he had. Sal’s curiosity about his origins increase, only to shrink when he realizes that the people around are more important to him. Although, the change in Salvador is evident, Benjamin’s development in Salvador focused on the symbolism. Salvador learns about his past and himself, he learns to act selfless and protect the people he cares about. Throughout the book, Salvador growth symbolizes his desire to protect his loved ones as they had done for him.

As Salvador’s narration continue, he expresses his sudden realization of his development. He would say, “I suddenly lost my ability to use words, and, I don’t know, I’d never been angry and I didn’t know what was really happening, because anger wasn’t normal for me. It was as if I, the Sal I knew, just went away and another Sal entered my body and took over.” (Alire Sáenz 9) Since, Salvador was raised differently than the average kids, he questions whether or not if he would become a completely different person. (Alire Sáenz 15) Benjamin has written the story in Salvador’s point of view to allow the reader understand the symbolism behind Sal’s growth. With that, Sal’s struggle to contain his anger to avenge any negative remarks towards the people he cares about shifts the way he responds to different conflicts.

In addition, Samantha, his best friend for whom he cares for, started growing from the conflicts. But, as he portrays himself as a calm person, his character has become more passionate about the people he cares about. Furthermore, “There was so much kindness in my father’s firm voice that I almost wanted to break down and cry. But I was angry, too. Mad as hell. I wanted to get in the car, find Eddie, and beat the holy hell out of him.” (Alire Sáenz 88) Through all the conflicts, Samantha changes along with them. Along with her growth, Samantha influences Salvador to grow, too. The close relationships he has influences his desire to protect everyone. For example, Enrique Infante had tried to insult Fito while, Sam was trying to defend Fito. As Sam tries to defend Fito, she ends up slapping Enrique. (Alire Sáenz 379) Sal had been in this position before, he saw the change in both him and Samantha. Samantha had grew up from this pushover to someone who knows her worth and defends the people who says otherwise. Salvador is passionately driven for Sam, he wants to protect that part of Sam so, he tries everything he can to protect her.

Growing up together, Sal’s adopted father, Vicente, always supported and cared for his son. Even so, he had always wondered if the person he had become was because of his adopted dad or because of his biological father. The thoughts in his head would go like, “I think if someone else had raised me, I might have been a wild and angry boy. Maybe if I’d been raised by the man whose genes I had, maybe I’d be a completely different guy. Yeah, the guy whose genes I had.” (Alire Sáenz 15) He was always curious about who he was. But, when he had the chance to his origins, he gave it away. “I take the sealed envelope from him-the one that holds the information about my biological father…I take the unopened envelope. I am watching myself as I take the lighter and place it over the edge of the paper. I am watching the envelope burn. I am watching the ashes floating up to the heavens. I am hearing myself as I tell my father, “I know who my father is. I have always known.”’ (Alire Sáenz 445) Even though Sal had the curiosity about his biological dad, he cares for his adopted dad and decides that his love for him has a greater importance than his curiosity.

Salvador changes from a calm person to a passive aggressive man. The people around him help him become the man that he portrays. His characterization, priorities and relationships with the people he cares about helps him change. Benjamin symbolizes this desire of protection and growth through Sal’s actions and characterization. Even so, Sal’s growth depends on his love on the people he adores. Salvador wishes to give back what he had been given; to love everyone like they had to him. The first priority in his mind at all times.