Discovering Janna | Teen Ink

Discovering Janna

February 13, 2019
By Anonymous

In the novel Saints and Misfits, author S.K. Ali introduces readers to the protagonist of the story, Janna Yusuf. Due to the partition of her parents at a young age, Janna is an exceedingly reserved individual and tends to trust the people she is closest to. Janna feels as if her life shattered into millions of pieces when her best friend’s cousin attempts to sexually assault her. Trying to overlook the scenario, Janna proceeds with her life. She soon encounters how difficult it is to speak about this traumatizing event to the people she loves the most. Throughout the book, Janna, not only struggles with telling someone about the “monster”, but discovering her personality and true self as well (Ali 5). To develop the central theme of self discovery, Ali utilizes symbolism while describing halal gummy bears, Mr. Ram, and Janna’s most favored author, Flannery O'Connor.

As Ali writes about Janna’s experiences, she does so in first person. This allows readers to interpret the true emotions Janna feels toward certain objects such as halal gummy bears. When Ali writes about these small snacks, they symbolize Janna as an individual. To illustrate, in one chapter, Janna and her close companion Tats, are catching up with each other on the roof of the school (Ali 99). Janna then takes out her halal gummy bears and offers Tats a handful. As Tats begins to take a bite out of one, she throws them across the roof stating, ‘“Ugh, these aren’t real gummy bears”’ (Ali 101). Janna then notices the “headless one lands next to the remains of a joint. Evicted for being different” (Ali 101). When Ali writes this section, we are able to see Janna is comparing herself to the halal treat. As a muslim, Janna is evicted by others being who she simply is. The gummy bears, being halal, also are rejected for being divergent. These gummy bears, symbolizing Janna, allow her to realize how she is portrayed by herself and others, which then helps her discover who she truly is .

Furthermore, throughout the book, Ali writes about Janna and a very close companion of hers, Mr. Ram. In the novel, Mr. Ram is portrayed or is symbolized as Janna’s magic helper. Janna has been caring for Mr. Ram since she was 11 and shares a unique bond with him. This bond ended one afternoon when Janna was on her way from school. Miserable news was awaiting her: Mr. Ram took his final breath on Earth (Ali 274). Janna is devastated thinking, “Mr. Ram can’t go” (Ali 274). Janna reflects and realizes she did not acknowledge Mr. Ram for all he’s done, but she knows she will now. Every once in a while Janna has a “Mr. Ram moment” (Ali 295). This is when she remembers something Mr. Ram says and applies it to her life. Mr. Ram may have not been able to help Janna while he was alive, but he truly does offer the best aid when he is deceased; He helps Janna become a confident and independent woman when she remembers the wise words that came out of his mouth and applies it to her life (Ali 295).

Moreover, author Flannery O’Connor is mentioned in the story and, in a way, symbolizes a mirror or reflection of Janna’s life. O’Connor is Janna’s “favorite author” and she is quite treasured in Janna’s life (Ali 4). For instance, Janna wishes Flannery would deposit her into O’Connor’s “fictitious world with self-righteous saints and larger-than-life misfits” (Ali 4). Janna feels she will be “okay there because Flannery took care of things. Justice got served” (Ali 4). This is a reflection of Janna’s life because Ali writes that Janna places characters under labels like Saints, Misfits, and Monsters. Janna soon learns, no one, not even herself, can be put under such labels. She realizes Flannery cannot take care of her issues, but rather she knows she has to. She has to get justice by finding her voice and speaking out.

S.K. Ali takes us along the journey of Janna Yusuf after going through the most formidable experience any female can go through; Being raped. Before Janna can tell anyone, she needs to discover herself so she can speak with a strong voice. Symbols along the way aid her to find out who she truly is as an individual. Gummy bears representing love, Mr. Ram symbolizing help, and Flannery O’Connor representing a mirror of Janna’s life all contribute to that. Janna now can speak and tell everyone what she has been through.


The author's comments:

This is a literary analysis based on the book Saints and Misfits. It analyzes how symbols in the book contribute to the theme.