Nobody Is Born at the Same Level | Teen Ink

Nobody Is Born at the Same Level

February 13, 2019
By bananan BRONZE, Houston, Texas
bananan BRONZE, Houston, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Numerous people step into this world fortunate, others not so much: life obstructs the journey to reach aspirations. Understanding one’s real purpose in this world often is drowned out by all that goes on, and considering the average life expectancy of 71.5 years, people often miss their happiness right under their nose. Especially exhibited in The Serpent King, a talented author conveys the difference in someone’s life based on unchangeable matters such as religion or how privileged they are. In this touching story, Dill, a high-school senior, has to wrestle the truth of his family history and the consequences that lay with dealing with his father’s actions. Furthermore, with the help of his best friends Lydia and Travis, he faces a problematic life exploring the possibilities of his future and facing his harsh reality. Through the tragedy of Travis’ death, Jeff Zentner depicts the real-life struggles that teens encounter because of uncontrollable circumstances, showcasing the undoubtedly harsh reality that some people have easier lives than others.

Born into a life of happiness, surrounded by family and friends whom all belonged in one community, Zentner had depicted Dill’s childhood as unproblematic and carefree. With the book’s purposeful flashbacks, the reader could easily comprehend the type of switch Dill had to face in his lifetime; one second being on top of the world, the next wanting to kill himself. This type of excruciating trauma had not only hurt him, but it had ingrained into his mind for likely the rest of his life. As illustrated in the text, “His father smiles and gently hands it to him. He reaches out and accepts his father’s offering. It is cool and dry and sleek. It pulses in his hands. His faith is strong. It binds the serpent’s jaws. It cannot hurt him. He stares into its face.” (Zentner, 197). Without question, Dill grew up in a religious household, often going to church, actually content with the type of life he had.

Consequently, this type of lifestyle of pleasing his parents had set in stone a type of mentality that is not healthy for a teenage boy to have. Zentner had used this to his advantage to form the type of narrative that would inflict Dill’s pain onto the reader. Using these purposeful flashbacks, the writer continuously pushes the importance of how Dill grew up throughout the rest of the book.

Moreover, in spite of the depressing life that Dill was living, author Jeff Zentner had included two lights in the eerie darkness of Dill’s life: Travis and Lydia. Although the two of them evidently had their own problems, compared to Dill’s story, their lives were plentiful and full of possibilities, illustrating an ever harsher image of Dill’s life to the reader. As seen in the book, “‘...Trav will be happy stacking lumber during the day and reading books at night until he dies. That’s who he is. But you? I can tell you don’t want that life. Everything about you screams that you want a different life…’” (Zentner, 80). Zentner had detailed each of the three’s life in such a contrast that it deemed difficult to not notice the envy in Dill’s perspective while he imagines his fate compared to Lydia’s. Although he knew that Lydia didn’t mean to make him feel insecure about his own family and life, this did not change the fact that he did. He felt envy. He felt desirous. He felt his burden pull him down, and at one point he didn’t want to stand back up. The writer continuously pushes Dill’s weakness, understanding the pain that comes with insecurity with one’s self and identity. Zentner had wanted to orchestrate the feeling of being alone in this situation, vocalizing that people can’t control how much they have to work to achieve their goals in life.

Despite the reality that teens often can’t communicate troubles at home, the author had included shifts in perspective to showcase that somehow, everyone is struggling. As the most lovable character in the story, Travis’ death had left readers agape. As such a bright character, Zentner had purposely planned the tragedy after Travis stood up for himself and planned for a hopeful future. Not only did the writer recognize the dullness in society today, but he displayed it so that the reader could understand that sometimes people realize their dreams and strive to reach them too late. And despite Travis’ resentment towards his father, he had never displayed his true hatred towards him and had seemed to convert his irritation into a passion for his favorite book series. However, this had not filled the hole in Travis’ heart from his father’s lack of love for him. While standing up to his father, Travis had spilled out every word and feeling he had inside not holding back one bit. For example, “‘You lay a hand on me again, I’ll break it off your arm. You lay a hand on my mom again, I will f**king kill you.’” (Zentner, 228). Zentner had brought so much passion and heartbreak into Travis’ life that built up and symbolized the conflicts that many adolescents experience today. The book conveyed the message that it is okay to strive for what one wants, and it isn’t selfish to do so. The death of Travis had showcased the writer’s intent in advocating the importance of actually living before something happens. There is no going back from that, and Zentner wanted to send the message that no matter how difficult a situation may be, it is still important to fight.

Highlighting the truth that some people have to work harder than others, Jeff Zentner showcases the difficulties in which adolescents have to face despite their hopeful futures, especially in the symbolism of Travis’ life and the end of it. Although Dill has to face this reality of struggles in his lifetime, he will need to learn how to arise from that and live a truthful life similar to what many do in this day and age. Regardless of Zentner’s strong belief in privilege, he depicts an excellent way of overcoming the struggle of not having it. Evidently, the purpose of The Serpent King is to clarify the misconception that life is as easy as cutting pie. Full of rollercoasters and heartaches, the book portrays life in a way that not many people can explain. Despite all that goes on that prevents teens from achieving their ambitions, to control their fate and whom they want to be, these adolescents will have to consider how they want to live their life, just as Dill did.


The author's comments:

I am an eighth grader whole was really intrigued by this contemporary book, the Serpent King.