Fostering a Healthier World: Becoming a Pediatrician | Teen Ink

Fostering a Healthier World: Becoming a Pediatrician

January 17, 2019
By eagoodrich BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
eagoodrich BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Every parent needs the confidence that their child is healthy and strong. As a result, most parents bring their child to the doctor regularly. A pediatrician, a doctor who specializes in the care of children, has a respectable job within the medical community. There are many different branches of pediatrics, and they collectively account for all the needs of children. General pediatricians are those who work in an office with other doctors to care for infants, children, and adolescents. If you aspire to be a general pediatrician, there are many considerations that you must focus on along the way. In order to become a successful general pediatrician, one must focus on the education requirements and recommendations, the necessary qualities and traits of a pediatrician, and the responsibilities in his or her daily life on the job.

To begin, in order to learn all the skills that are needed to become a pediatrician, you must complete the required education and training. Being a pediatrician requires much expertise, as the variety of daily cases and individual needs of the patients make it a very precise job, so the schooling is extensive. To put it simply, pediatric education requirements include “four years of undergraduate studies, four years of medical school and three years of residency” (“Pediatrician Career”). In medical school, there are multiple examinations that you have to pass in order to continue through with your education and eventually earn a pediatrics licence. Before taking the Medical College Admittance Test (MCAT), which is required for entrance into most medical schools ("Pediatricians: Duties and Responsibilities"), one can prepare himself or herself properly for higher education by following suggestions for classes to take and activities to join in high school. According to the Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center, it is important to take classes in high school that have a “heavy emphasis on science and math” (“Pediatricians”). Also, English and foreign language classes are tremendously helpful in the communication aspect of pediatrics (“Pediatricians”). Medical school admissions are particularly competitive, and the challenge continues through graduation. The classes are difficult and require your full attention and commitment. Throughout all eight years of required higher education, it is imperative to focus on your studies and work hard in every class. After medical school, training is not yet over, as you still must complete a three year residency program in a hospital and a one or a two year internship (“Pediatricians”). The residency and internship are hands-on experiences that expose prospective pediatricians to deeper learning and practical knowledge before they are licensed to practice independently. Thus, there are many educational necessities that need to be assessed when becoming a pediatrician.

Next, to decide if pediatrics is the right career for you, it is essential to consider the qualities that make a pediatrician successful. First, since it is expected that you speak to clients and patients, especially their parents, you must have exemplary communication skills. A pediatrician must be compassionate and patient, as many children are nervous around doctors and medical offices, and it is your job to reassure them that they are in good hands (“How to Become a Pediatrician”). This career is certainly not suitable for everyone, especially to those who are not fond of children, as working with kids is a central aspect of the job. As pediatrician Laura Layer explains, she “chose pediatrics because [she] like[s] kids,” and she gets paid “for playing with kids most of the time” (“Pediatricians: Duties and Responsibilities”). Of course, working with children can be rewarding and enjoyable, but at times, the children require urgent and possibly uncomfortable care. Therefore, to handle these situations, there are several other qualities that are important for a pediatrician to have, including “excellent judgement and ability to work under stress and pressure” (Field). They should also be able to deal with the nerves that parents can feel if their child is unhealthy, injured, or in pain. Therefore, the compassion, patience, and quick-thinking that employers look for in pediatricians are crucial to review. Before becoming a pediatrician, one should be sure he or she possesses these traits.

Lastly, in order to become a pediatrician, one must take into account the responsibilities and daily routine of a pediatrician. Typically, the workday of a pediatrician is demanding as a result of their countless duties. They see children for various reasons, as “parents bring their child to the pediatrician for annual checkups or immunizations” and “for an acute or chronic illness” (Field). When a child comes in sick, pediatricians must examine them and their symptoms, run tests if needed, diagnose them, and then possibly prescribe medications. The specific responsibilities of a pediatrician include talking to teens about birth control, helping overweight children start healthy diets, and ordering tests to confirm diagnoses (“Career: Pediatricians”). With all these responsibilities comes a sometimes tedious and laborious work week. In fact, pediatricians can work up to 50-60 hours every week (“Pediatricians”). For many people, this schedule is excessive, but it is critical for pediatricians to work these hours so that they are available if a child needs immediate care or if a worried parent calls for urgent advice. Another important responsibility of a pediatrician is “monitoring [the] physical and psychosocial growth and development” of a child (Stephens). Pediatricians see children at a very meaningful time of their lives, adolescence. It is vital that they ensure the child is developing correctly and at a reasonable pace in order to prevent complications that may surface later in life. Because of their all-important commitment to the health of children, pediatricians generally make a comfortable $184,240 every year (“Pediatrician Career”). Evidently, if you want to become a pediatrician, you must understand your expectations as a health professional.

In summary, to become a pediatrician, it is essential to prioritize success in required courses and training, the caring personality and communication skills sought out by employers, and the daily responsibilities of the job. Pediatricians treat and see children from when they are infants through their teenage years, which is the most crucial and vulnerable time of one’s life. As a child, you learn to treat and take care of yourself, and having a pediatrician to guide you through a healthy lifestyle is vital for an independent adulthood. As a parent, there is no greater comfort than knowing that your child is healthy, which can make the job of a pediatrician endlessly rewarding. A pediatrician’s impact on one child can be life-changing; the combined efforts of all pediatricians nurture a safer and healthier world.

 

 

Works Cited

"Career: Pediatricians." Big Future, 2018.

Field, Shelly. "Pediatrician." Ferguson's Career Guidance Center. Facts On File, Inc. 2018. 

"How to Become a Pediatrician." Doctorly. "Pediatrician Career." Healthcare System Careers EDU, 2018.

"Pediatricians." Ferguson's Career Guidance Center. Facts On File, Inc. 2018. 

"Pediatricians: Duties and Responsibilities." Ferguson's Career Guidance Center. Facts On File, Inc. 2018.

Stephens, Mariann, editor. "Pediatrics 101." American Academy of Pediatrics, 2011.


The author's comments:

For I while now, I have aspired to be a Pediatrician. I have always been interested in medicine and medical topics in general, and I'm also in love with kids. Mixing those both together seems like the perfect career for me. For my English class, we had to write a how to article on achieving a dream of our choice. So, I decided to write about becoming a Pediatricians and the things that must be considered.