Sacramento, My Home | Teen Ink

Sacramento, My Home

By Emanisteezery SILVER, Sacramento, California
Emanisteezery SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Love recognizes no barriers" -Maya Angelo

My Unique Sacramento is full of the of the smell of different types of food. I live in a neighborhood that is very quiet and full of excitement. When I look out the window all is see is kids laughing and playing football or soccer. When I step outside the sun is beaming down on me. At night I am able to walk around the neighborhood laughing and screaming. On the weekend I like to visit Downtown Sacramento. When I go it has the scent of Mexican food and delicious sweet treats. When roaming the streets it is full of nice old caucasian people. A  lot of modern mid 40’s people live Downtown. I live in a town where rent is cheap and the hotel fee is cheaper. Sacramento is a clean litter free environment.

HAHA actually I lied, Every piece of information i just explained was a BIG FAT LIE. I live in a neighborhood that is very loud and angry. Many people are angry  because of the loud popping noises. I live in neighborhood that If your out past dark you might not make it home. When I look out the window I see people fighting and vanzilizing. I live in a neighborhood that is so dangerous kids can’t even play outside. When i step outside the weather is cold like ice and windy like a big fan blowing. When going downtown you have to dress and look a certain type of way or they would think you were stealing. Downtown has the scent of homeless people. When roaming the streets on every corner you see homeless families that the people who visit and live there treat like a piece of trash on the street.

In my city and neighborhood there are many issues and concerns.  In my neighborhood the main issues are gun shots. This is a big concern because many people have got hurt from those gunshots. These gunshots aren’t  like little popping noises these are loud booming noises. In Sacramento there are about thousands and thousands of problems. One MAJOR problem is police brutality. This issues really affects people of color, the people of color are frightened for their loved ones. In 2015 1,146 people were killed from police brutality. In 2016 1,092 people were left dead from police altercations.  African-Americans die at the hands of police at the rate of 7.2 per million as of white people die at the rate of 2.9 per million. As you can see police brutality is a big problem in my city. Another issue in Sacramento is molestation. In 2010 99 arrest were made due to molestation. In 2017 253 rape kits were given due to molestation. ONLY 32 charges were filed. This shows me that Sacramento is at high risk.

As you can see Sacramento is falling apart If I was able to talk to the government I would list some things I want to change.