Our Vocation: Artistic Advocating | Teen Ink

Our Vocation: Artistic Advocating

By avaburas BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
avaburas BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

Art is an expression or representation of humanistic skill and imagination through visual or audible work, appreciated primarily for beauty and the ability to draw out different forms of emotion; in other words, art is used not only to deeply express beliefs, values, and perceptions but also to represent a society’s culture and traditions. Because art plays such a vital role in the enrichment of humanity, as seen throughout history, it is imperative to preserve as well as progress various forms of craft further. In order for artists to make a suitable living in today’s world, their creations depend upon specific platforms as a means to gain recognition and approval. Although an artist possess a unique talent, that person requires a financial means of promoting their creations; often times, this limits the artist in their efforts due to the monetary restriction. For example, a painter would not only require materials and a workshop but also enough money to arrange exhibitions of the artwork; similarly, in order to promote music, there is a call for concerts and recitals. However, this promotion cannot be considered the responsibility of one individual or a singular organization alone; in order to create a steady progression of ideas and advancements, it will take the combined efforts of the public. While it is crucial that the government provide enough funds to advocate for the arts, the common people and privately-owned organizations must lend a hand in this advertisement.

This dilemma can be solved easily through a government allocation of funds along with the promotion of the arts within smaller institutions, such as schools and artistic companies. There is abundance of talent spread throughout the nation, which needs only a few resources, a proper education, and a little encouragement; an artist cannot advance in their techniques without the support of others. In respect to the government, it is their duty to remove these monetary restrictions and offer artists outlets to improve their line of work by allocating funds for concerts, forming public organizations that work with and for the arts, plan exhibitions, and establish galleries to promote the art either locally or on a national level. However, the government is also held responsible for generating funds for the nation as whole, meaning it must appropriately allocate its revenue. Therefore, private institutions must also generate funds; nevertheless, this does not mean it is the sole responsibility of the art department in schools to find a means of income. The administration, faculty, and student body as a whole should be held accountable for the promotion of the arts. The arts should not be stripped of their money during budget cuts, departments should not have to fundraise excessively, and students should be encouraged in pursuing a career in the arts.

The effects of advocating for the arts are more advantageous than meets the eye. Not only would current artists receive the recognition they deserve for their talents and efforts, but it leads way for an increase in individuals pursuing their creative talents rather than brushing their dreams off as unattainable due to financial restrictions; if more individuals pursue art, then, in turn, more people will choose to spectate creative works. Art allows humans to express themselves in ways that words cannot reach at times; it gives people a chance to change themselves and the world around them. It not only enriches the entire culture of a nation, but it has the power to inspire humanity and bring about a sense of unity. If art is lost, then so is humanity. It takes a joint effort between the government and smaller organizations to promote and fund artistic conventions in and out of schools; furthermore, it is only through these efforts that it is possible to fully develop and advance the minds and artistic talents of the youth in today’s nation.