It's Just One Vote | Teen Ink

It's Just One Vote

By AishaZafar BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
AishaZafar BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

Many people have strong opinions about the current political climate, and want a certain type of change to occur, whatever that may be. People want their voice to be heard and their desires to be fulfilled, which is understandable. The American Dream demonstrates the ideal in which each individual in this democracy has the power to make a change. These are concepts that fill the mind of a proud American, potentially one who is a part of the whopping 42% of 218,959,000 eligible voters that did not participate in the 2016 presidential election (Statistics Brain).

Why should they vote? After all, what does their one meager vote count for? “It’ll all work out” is a phrase repeated by individuals over and over again. With millions of other people voting, there’s not much one can do. This is a sentiment that millions of Americans hold. “My vote can’t do much, but it’s okay - everyone else has got it.” 

Millions of people, while they would assuredly recommend others to vote, don’t take the time to do it themselves. Skipping out on one election is no biggie. After all, what effect could their singular vote have in the long run? It’s a waste of time, an inconvenience, and there really is no point. Sure, it’s not exemplary behavior, but at least they went to that protest their friend told them about last February and marched for a good 10 minutes before it got too cold. At least they got an Instagram picture with that one aspiring politician. It’s clear they still take the time to be involved and make a difference!

Most people can come to the misleading conclusion that the government, both local and federal, are going to simply proceed in the correct direction - no bad policies or decisions could possibly be made. “I always tell those around me how important voting is - it’s one of the many great things about America,” states a local Arizona citizen. “I missed a few local elections. It’s okay though, there were other voters! I’m not going to let it stress me out.” This is the same type of person who watches the news every single morning and complains about the many issues to those around.

“It’s just one vote,” these millions of individuals repeat.

If they had more time in the day, if it mattered just the littlest bit more, perhaps if there was more incentive, maybe these Americans would vote. It’s not like in this modern age, letting your voice be heard only takes a few clicks on the computer. “It just didn’t matter,” stated one of many young Americans who spent the afternoon with twelve YouTube links open on their laptop.

People of color, young people, and poor individuals have the lowest vote turnout and also happen to be the lowest represented individuals in our government. Their views tend to contrast with those of the older, majority. “I wonder how I can let my views be heard? How can I have an influence?” hundreds of these struggling individuals echo. The American Dream is a concept that states how these individuals do have the power to share their life, but it’s up to the individual to do with that what they wish.

References 

Brain, Statistic. “Voting Turnout Statistics.” Statistic Brain, Government , 20 Sept. 2017.