The Price

A while ago, I had a friend whose father was killed in the War on Iraq. Bill’s* dad was one of the very first people who died in the war in the area. His dad was the pilot of a Black Hawk Helicopter. Apparently, the helicopter was shot down. Bob* (Bill’s dad) chose to stay in the helicopter so that the other guys could have a chance to get out safely.
At first, nobody new for sure what was going on. The children were absent from school for a few weeks, and nobody heard from the mother. The veil of innocence would soon be lifted, however. Things started to happen very quickly once they actually started to happen. I was on the bus that day, and everybody seemed to know something I didn’t. My friends kept on looking at me with that look that you just know means catastrophe. It was. I knew something was really wrong when my mother met me at the bus stop. I asked her what was going on. She said’ “Bill’s father was killed in Iraq.” It was one of the two worst 6 word sentences I have heard in my life.
We went to the PX and bought the family little things that I am pretty sure they liked. It couldn’t have been any condolence to the family, but they really seemed to like the presents. Some few weeks later, the family moved to another state. I have never seen or heard from that family again.

writerscramp01 said...
Kal, its me, Sarah, aka writerscramp, aka epic fail at writing. lol. i have some new work and id love for your opinion if u have a chance. UR AMAZING. KEEP IT UP!

-Kal- replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 1:18 pm :
No problem Sarah. I'll check it out for you.

LostAngel said...
I am sorry for your loss of a friend as well as your friend's loss of his father. I am glad you found the strength to share your story :)

-Kal- replied...
Apr. 18, 2010 at 6:05 pm :
Thanks so much!!! :)

Sarbear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 24, 2010 at 11:13 am :
this is nice. im glad you could put it on paper and show all of us--it takes courage to tell ppl about things like this

-Kal- replied...
Apr. 24, 2010 at 8:56 pm :
Not as much as you might think... Anyways, thanks for reading and commenting!!! :)

writerscramp01 said...
Feb. 28, 2010 at 8:27 pm:
Jatavion,
My cousin was killed over in Iraq. Its something that you don't ever get over. I was given a dogtag bc we have such a small family and im in teen rotc bc i want to be a marine so he put in his "last letter" that they all write he wanted me to have it along with a unshot silver bullet.

-Kal- replied...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 2:40 pm :
I'm so sorry. It was sweet of him to do that though, I bet it meant a lot to you.
Thanks for reading and commenting, I really appreciate it :)

**missybell** said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm:
wow. thats really sad. if you dont mind me asking, what is the other 6 word sentence. curiosity haunts me.

Jatavion replied...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 9:05 pm :
As they say missy, "Curiosity killed the cat." ;)

Drama_Queen13 said...
Very sad, but wonderful piece. 5 stars <3

Jatavion replied...
Jan. 22, 2010 at 3:11 pm :
Thanks Drama_Queen13 :)

Hannahbear said...
awh...im sorry, that is really sad :(
You said that it was one of the two worst 6 word sentances you have heard in your life...if you dont mind me asking, what is the second?

Veida replied...
Oct. 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm :
That's really horrable. Something similar happened to me. When my best friends grandma died he was taking it pretty bad, and I tryed to help him however I could, but then he just stopped calling me, and ignored me. I haven't talked to him all summer. Then on called him on his birthday and we had a great conversation, and he promised to call back, and never did. Thanks a bunch for listening. I really had to tell someone. I don't know what to do about your friend. That's really... (more »)

Jatavion replied...
Oct. 23, 2009 at 4:09 pm :
Hannah,
Yeah, it sucked but we all moved on eventually. I am upset about the posts too cause I was really enjoying talkin to you too, so im gonna set up a forum later today in the Random Thoughts section with your screename on it so we can continue talkin. lol. ttyl

writerscramp01 replied...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm :

Hola! I've been gone for quite a while, but it goes the same, you read mine, i'll read yours! (that goes out to everyone), and please comment on some of mine.

Keep writting til your hand gets sore, then pick up your pen and write some more!

~Writerscramp