Is Art a Waste of Time? | Teen Ink

Is Art a Waste of Time?

By Musilova BRONZE, Tirana, Other
Musilova BRONZE, Tirana, Other

-

Once I was sitting in small classroom, doodling on a piece of paper, while listening to music from my white headphones. Everything was alright, until two random guys came to me. One of them asked me: “What the hell are you doing? Why are you drawing those stupid THINGS?” pointing with his crooked finger on my drawing while continuing, “didn’t you know that art is a waste of time? It is useless! Nothing more! It does nothing to help civilisation, it is just for stupid people to pretend that they're clever in other ways” ("Is Art A Waste Of Time?"). And with that they left as they had come, not bothering to hear my opinion when they themselves hadn’t given me that choice.

I was shocked. “Didn’t you know that art is a waste of time? It is useless! Nothing more!” Those words kept echoing in my ears. The more those words kept replaying in my head, the more furious I got.

What audacity! Where did those presumptuous morons even find it in themselves?

Art is not a waste of time. Art is a language of emotions, through which you weave your story. A meta language that can be understood throughout the world, (Maloney) without learning any extra hard grammar, without boundaries or rules, and freedom to express your talent.                                             

“Art speaks where words are unable to explain.”

Art is a belief of something more, which gives us the strength.

Pieces of art are reminding us of what happened in the past. What happened in history, isn’t always written in the books, we have it presented through Art. When you visit any historical museum or a castle, you see pieces of art everywhere. For example when you walk through the long luxurious hall, seeing the well-fitting armour of a knight, who probably fought for the hand of his future woman or for his lord in a cruel, and brutal war. You can see the grooves on that shiny metal artwork hiding the whole story behind it.

Art is not useless. Any kinds of art aren’t useless. Architecture, Drawing, Painting, Photography, any kinds of Performance, even Sport. After all, the world is just made of art. When you look around yourself every tiny bit you can see Art. Jewellery, curtains or even the black, old doors.

However, then I realized it.

I stood up with such a big determination, and I run out of the classroom with few curious faces behind my back like what's happening. I caught up to the boys, turning the one “speaker” towards me, to let me have the opportunity to talk to him eye to eye. He looked shocked. If I wasn’t so angry at that time and determined to resist his stupid argument, I would even laugh. He was about to say something, but I broke it with the sharp wave of my finger. “So art is a waste of time? It’s useless? Nothing more?” I started briefly. “Well in that case, get off all your clothes, right now!” He couldn’t believe my words. “Oh, you like new music? Tough, stop wasting your time listening to it!” as I pulled his headphone from his ear.

I took another step forward and continued, “Oh and one last thing!” I came closer to his face, watching the fear in his face, “do you know what eARTh is without ART?” I stopped for a while to give myself the last breath. However he was faster and the only thing that comes out of his mouth was, “EH!”

“Oh yeah, correct! Earth without art is just stupid Eh!” And with that last word, I walked away with knowing that I did the best thing I could ever do!

Art isn’t a waste of time!