Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

March 9, 2018
By malibuboats7 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
malibuboats7 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Writing this letter to thank for your service is an honor, and I would like to say, welcome home. I understand you weren’t given the warm welcoming that you deserved when you came back to our country after your time in Vietnam. That is why I am here to thank you personally for your heroic and courageous actions.

I am a 18 year old high school senior from Wisconsin. I got the opportunity to watch the Honor Flight movie. I was beyond shocked. I rejoiced seeing the care veterans received on the Honor Flight and how appreciated you felt. This opportunity to thank you for everything you fought for is more than a gift. I would like to thank you for the tasks you completed and show you how much respect I hold with you.

Being 18 years old, I can’t even begin to imagine the fear and overwhelment that was running through you when you were drafted. You are a hero to me because of the courage and bravery that runs through your veins. Up rooting your life to go into the war to fight as a young adult for our country, is a noble and selfless deed I would like to praise you for. I know  and apologize for the hardships you faced.

I want to thank you for the leadership and strength you fought with. Because of your service, I realized I want to be more like you soldiers and veterans. You are teachers and role models for young men like myself and you should take pride in that. I am thankful for you and your service. You encouraged me to be more selfless and caring. Your story’s taught me how to step up and fight for what we believe in. You have left an impact on my life personally and I know you have done the same for millions of others in our country. You or your service isn’t forgotten. I promise you, your bravery is appreciated. Welcome home!     


The author's comments:

Thanking a vietnam veteran for their service and welcoming them home.