Carrying my Bible | Teen Ink

Carrying my Bible

By Jennifer Lee BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois
Jennifer Lee BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois

As Christians, oftentimes, we are unable to explain why we do the things we do or make a stand on what we believe because we don't know much about our own motives. So I've taken the time to explain how I feel about a certain subject that seems to be revolving around our school Christians.

Some people are convinced that when we, Christians, carry our bibles around school, we are flaunting our faith. They explain that boasting is not pleasing to God, and I, too, believe this. To boast is to glorify oneself, so, in other words, it is synonymous to pride. Pride is unacceptable in that pride brings about a self-centeredness and draws the attention away from the one who really deserves the praise- God. When we are prideful, we reason that we are the ones who deserve the glory. Long story-short, boasting is wrong because it's all about us- when it should be all about God.

However, I do not believe that carrying our bibles around school is our attempt to boast of our faith for our own glory. Instead it is to boast in our God. Psalm, a book of praise, explains one of the many ways we can worship God- through boasting. "In God we make our boast all day long..." (44:8). Our act of carrying our bible is to worship God. Through this, we praise Him and serve Him.

How is boasting a way to praise and serve God? Well, it's quite simple. When we boast of God, we boast of His goodness and love and everything else about Him. We get people to desire the good life we have through Him and then show them that they too can share in His amazing love. Carrying our bibles is our attempt to do His will. He has called us to show the world the love He has given us. Look throughout the New Testament. It's everywhere. When we carry our bibles, we ask for persecution. We ask for questions about what we're doing and why. Each time, we can always reflect things back to the glory of God. Through this, we open up opportunities for others to hear the good news. We go out and do as He wills- instead of always waiting around for people to come talk to us. We are showing that we are unashamed of God and willing to risk getting weird looks and perhaps even losing friends. If it is for God's glory and to bring others to Him- to show them how to really live life-, it's so worth it.

Also, carrying the bible shows a passion to know God more. We carry bibles everywhere we go because Joshua 1:8 says, "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." Always choosing to have our bibles near us is our attempt at showing that the Word of God is so good, that we do not ever want to depart from it.

The list goes on…

Jaquie BRONZE said...
on May. 2 2009 at 2:38 pm
Jaquie BRONZE, West Palm Beach, Florida

This is certainly one of my favorites: "I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes." -2 Samuel 6:22

I loved this. It was beautifully written and I believe would cut right through the doubts of many. You're letting people understand our faith in a non-demanding way. Those who read this article chose to. The work you've written is just building off their own curiosity. I'm sure God will do some amazing things with you and your work.

God Bless,

...,