if change has come | Teen Ink

if change has come

By whatusaycounts BRONZE, Gig Harbor, Washington
whatusaycounts BRONZE, Gig Harbor, Washington

Sure, we all want to see change.Sure, some of us have hope that one day, the world will get better.Sure, we all want to help make that happen. but the questions still linger, and the doubt still grows.i'm not writing this to be the often stereotyped extremist, or an overly passionat bi-stander. i'm just a 17 year old girl who wants to help, and would like to help you find where your opinions and incredible heart can be put to great use. Firstly, what does change look like? It may look different in your eyes than mine. How can we come out of places of hardship and find peace? Everyone wants peace i believe. I think that some may just find it hard to achieve. However we can, and we will. Guess what? I'm going to tell you how. By loving each other instead of hating. By coming together, instead of dividing. By not taking things too seriously, and not pushing to find fault in one another. I will be the first to tell you that everyone is not like me. I am naturally understanding and I naturally love life. It is very easy for me to help and take care of people. That's just the kind of person that I am. Doesn't sound like you? Well, you don't have to give until it hurts. You don't have to travel the globe to "spread the love" all you have to do is smile instead of frown, laugh instead of cry, hug instead of push.

One thing that I think keeps us away from reaching our place of love and peace, is greed. Research, universities, etc. have kept stats and reports on social problems since they began to increase in the 1960s. They found that social problems are caused by selfishness and pro-choice attitude. When people are faced with a decision in which could affect other people and society, they can make an unselfish decision based on what is best for others and society or, they can make a selfish, pro-choice decision based on the wishes of the person committing the action. We are all capable of loving people. How else do you think we have friendships? Husbands and Wives? Boyfriends and Girfriends? We can America! We can love!

Too many times i watch girls my age give horrid looks to one another. Too many times I've passed men who have little or no respect for women. Hooting and hollering like some kind of dogs. We are all better than that! We are all beautiful, handsome, whatever! Let's unite together despite our differences! Let's unite together to change the lives of people in our schools, in our communities, cities, states, nation, world! I have come to find that JFK was right. We need to stop thinking about what America can do for us, and start thinking of what we can do, for America. Statistics show that people who are unselfish and work together, and do what's best for society, statistically live longer, are happier, and are less likely to live in poverty. We have to change our attitudes to change our hearts. We have to change our hearts to change our actions, and we have to change our actions, to change our destiny.

Another thing that we all have to have our minds set on is looking out for the next generation by teaching them the necessities of change, in order for them to start a chain-reaction to help make America and hopefully the world a better, more beneficial place. It is up to us.Barack Obama can't do it alone. Your child's teachers, can't do it alone. Musicians and other people of influence can't do it alone. In order to find that place of change, we have to ALL search for it, and we have to ALL want it. Which i do believe is the case. I think that most Americans want to see a brighter America. However, we do nothing to help. To change America, it takes and "all-hands-on-deck" approach.

So with this final paragraph, I leave you with this reader: Love. Love is the answer to all problems. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself. Go into your place of work, or school tomorrow and spread happiness to all those who come around you. Wave at a stranger, talk to someone new, eat with a different group of people. Go into tomorrow, with the mind set of "How can I make someone's day?" Remember that life is about doing something bigger than yourself.Life is about smiling at people, even if you yourself don't feel like it. Life is about taking the next step to forming a friendship with the new kid in class, even if it's out of your personal comfort zone. Lastly, life is about reminding people that no matter what the religion,what the race, what the class, gender or sexual orientation is, you'll be there for them, and you will be their biggest fan. That reader, that is what change looks like.

when i was assigned this editorial, i decided to say something that needed to be said, and heard. enjoy...