Lopsided Lessons | Teen Ink

Lopsided Lessons

By hannahselken BRONZE, Springfield, Virginia
hannahselken BRONZE, Springfield, Virginia

They try to tell us that we are all equal, when we most definitely are not.

The messages that we see around us have created a blindfold, a mask that shields us from seeing any picture other than the modernized common core classroom.

But the problem is, we do not try to see.

We do not see that they rifle through tattered textbooks, while we stare at our newly minted computers.
They walk into bathrooms without soap or paper towels, while we wince at a dirty tile.
They stumble through the day with roaring stomachs, while we moan over the lack of flavor in our meals.
They are afraid to drink from the tainted water fountains - as no one knows of the poisons that lurk inside - while the water is too warm for our taste.

We squander the best that we take for ourselves, while they fight for the scraps of hope we have left behind.

It is all about perspective.

We see the faults that lurk on the walls around us, but fail to recognize that we will get a better education than most. We sit blindly listening, as those around us preach that everyone in our country is treated. To believe that everyone will get the same opportunities just because we say that they should, is ignorant.

But this does not have to be a reality.

We can fight back against acts of silent segregation in school communities, an environment that chooses some to advance and some to be left behind. We can tear off our blindfolds and shed our state of ignorance.

Take a step outside of the cinderblock box that we spend eight hours each day in. Do so to find your voice.

Fundraise. Donate. Speak Out.

Do anything but sit quietly. Research the conditions of underprivileged schools in your community. Write a letter to your representative outlining that many teachers and students go without the supplies they need to build a foundation to lifelong learning.

One day, we will look around to see all young minds prosper.

But that day will only come if you take action.

This piece is a manifesto about classroom inequality. Many do not realize the quality of their educations, but rather paint the negative moments as their whole experience. I hope that this inspires others to become educated about the struggles of students less fortunate, and for the empowered few to do something about it. Let's make a quality education a right for all, rather than just a dream.