How to Be More Productive and Avoid Procrastination | Teen Ink

How to Be More Productive and Avoid Procrastination

By AnnaBee PLATINUM, Cambridge, Massachusetts
AnnaBee PLATINUM, Cambridge, Massachusetts

This is something everyone struggles with. Everyone. This is completely normal, so feel no shame about it. Even I, as a Senior, amidst the important college process, continue to put off my work, even though I know how important it is to reach my goals. Throughout my years of high school, though, I have devised some methods to prevent procrastination. Try them all.

Software to prevent distraction:

1) Download the “Selfcontrol” app on your computer. It allows you to block distracting sites from your computer for a set amount of time.
         a) If you get distracted by your phone, even if it’s out of the room, try downloading an app called “Forest.” It prevents you from going on your phone for your period. I just recently discovered it and it has been life-changing

2) Limit your amount of free time. Counterintuitively, more free time allows for more procrastination, and you may actually get less done, rather than more.

3) First thing when you get home, before a snack or TV or anything, do homework. This will make a good habit.

4) Exercise. Your motivation increases if you exercise before doing work

5) Meditation also really helps me

6) Build good habits. Even if you have free time, don’t pass it just by surfing your computer. Do something active rather than passive. Read, make art, bake, or see friends instead.

7) When you need to be productive, set a timer and race yourself. Like set a twenty minute timer and think “I bet I can’t write this paragraph in twenty minutes,” then try to prove yourself wrong.

8) Make friends with productive, motivated people. They will positively influence your habits and hold you accountable to getting your work done.

I have struggled with this my entire high school career, worsened by my ADHD. This is what worked for me. If you have any questions or need advice, feel free to ask me in the comments.