Which smoke? | Teen Ink

Which smoke?

By Dolphine BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Dolphine BRONZE, Cupertino, California

I didn’t think I’d ever have to experience something like this. My hands started to sweat like crazy. I could hear my mom’s voice in my head screaming, “I THOUGHT YOU KNEW BETTER!”
           I had just came home from a long and stressful day. Just when I thought I could take a silent nap, my mom called me to tell me to turn on the stove. I was super grouchy and irritable. I lazily turned on the stove closest to me but what i didn’t know was that it was the wrong stove!          
            After a while, my nose crinkled up and the smell of smoke clouded my mind. I thought to myself, “The smell is probably just the smoke of the fires that are going on around Sonoma.” I quickly went to close the open front door but realized that the smoke wasn’t coming from outside. I raced towards the kitchen as the fire alarm began to blare “FIRE” “FIRE” “FIRE”. I quickly turned the stove off and tried to evacuate from my house. I was on my knees desperately trying really hard not to breath in the smoke. I didn’t know where my brother was. He is younger than me and if anything happens to him, I am responsible for him. I called for him but I heard no response. I barged into every door in our house except the bathroom one. I didn’t know if I should go in or not because it would be very embarrassing. But I didn’t have a second to waste as I opened the door and grabbed my clumsy brother. We were heading toward the front door to escape out of the house but the door wouldn’t budge at all.  I started freaking yout, but then I remembered that we have a patio door. We quickly ran toward the patio door and evacuated the house and ran towards our neighbors house for help.  Ringing the doorbell, I took quick glances at our house just to make sure it wasn’t at the edge of a disaster. When my neighbors opened the door, they knew something was wrong because we only went to their house in an emergency. I gave them a quick recap about what happened and we made our way back home. As soon as I went in the house I called my mom and after lots of consideration and a bit of yelling she finally said that it was fine, and that I did the right thing of evacuating the house. I’m coming home and call the neighbors (which I did). We were silent for a while. Neither one of us spoke thinking the other would make the first move. Now my neighbor and I both opened all the windows to let the smoke out of the house. As soon as we opened the windows we opened the patio door and the front door. Then we put the burned pan in the sink with cold ,rushing water pouring down on it. As soon as we finished, my neighbors left. They said, “Call us if you need any help.” A minute after they left my mom came home and was mad at me since I burned her pan and forced her to come early from work. Next time I should have been more careful or else I would have had to explain the story to someone else.

I hope that people learn not to be lazy especially when you are around stove or any dangerous places that can cause chances of fire/smoke.