The Development of Artificial Intelligence | Teen Ink

The Development of Artificial Intelligence

November 9, 2017
By GWilliams GOLD, Tirana, Other
GWilliams GOLD, Tirana, Other
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“wtf his ult did like 3k damage how is that legit” – leonardo da vinci 1496, founder of the Illuminati


As technology progresses, sooner or later humanity will face the decision to either create A.I. or not. If we were able to create a computer level to the human mind otherwise known as A.G.I. (Artificial General Intelligence) and let it adapt its own code, it could surpass the greatest human minds in a few seconds and become A.S.I. (Artificial Super Intelligence). Today many of the smartest people are debating on whether A.I. should be created or not. There are several views on what would happen should A.I. be created. The first and most obvious outcome would be that A.I. becomes too smart and it takes over humanity. There are less dark, more positive outcomes as well.


Most of the best computer scientists agree, making A.I. would be a terrible thing for humanity. They believe that first of all, A.I. would take over most jobs, especially if, when A.I. is made, we have automated almost all manual labor. This would happen because A.I. would either be equal to or above the intelligence of humans, allowing it to multitask in ways never seen before. This would remove almost all human labor. This could, of course, lead to the A.I. making copies of itself and in the end killing all humans since it no longer has any reason to keep any humans around since we are just lesser versions of them. This idea has been supported by some of the top minds in the world such Stephen Hawking who said that "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."(Hawking).


Another, a less dark theme is that A.I. might eradicate most human labor. This would only be possible if we give bodies to the A.I. but even if we don’t, A.I. will take over many online jobs such as running servers and moneylending. Through automation, Artificial Intelligence could run factories and all sorts of other things. A.I. might even take over the science field due to its incredible intelligence. This may cause problems because our society is based on the idea that people should be pulling their own weight but if we were to create A.I. we would need to completely redesign our society. But this could lead to large advances in healthcare and quality of life since humans are no longer doing work they need to do but instead they could do stuff that they like, including developing new medicines and technology. Some scientists speculate that A.I. could run all of human society. This would include but not be limited to developing toys for children, movies, medicine, and many other things. This is not as likely since the A.I. would have to understand human wants and needs. A possible way for this to happen is through the internet. The internet would serve as the main place for A.I. to learn it is already been proven that basic A.I. can learn all sorts of things from the internet meaning that a super A.I. could easily understand humans and many other things.


A large concern for scientists is that the first nation or government to create A.I. will use it for military purposes. Any country with access to a super intelligent computer could hack any opposing organization and have one of if not the best strategic mind on the planet able to sort through and absorb tons of data. Having several A.I.s that oppose each other could be catastrophic for the civilian population since Artificial Intelligences’ will probably not have any reason to care for civilian casualties resulting in many deaths. People might try to control the A.I. but it might not work out as Elon Musk has said “With artificial intelligence, we are summoning the demon. In all those stories where there’s the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, it’s like – yeah, he’s sure he can control the demon. Doesn’t work out,” (Musk).


Developing artificial intelligence could end in disaster with its goal not coinciding with ours and it decimating us. A.I. could also spell our doom but not by its own hand. Large organizations could use artificial intelligence to destroy opposing parties or take control of all earth. Hopefully, A.I. will just help progress quality of life and influence large developments in science and culture. Artificial intelligence is still far off and might not even be possible, but it's better for us to be ready if that day comes.

 

 

Works Cited

"Benefits & Risks Of Artificial Intelligence - Future Of Life Institute." Future of Life Institute.    N.p., 2017. Web. 18 Oct. 2017.

Cellan-Jones, Rory. "Hawking: AI Could End Human Race." BBC News. N.p., 2014. Web. 18    Oct. 2017.

Mcfarland, Matt. "Elon Musk: ‘With Artificial Intelligence We Are Summoning The Demon.’."    Washington Post. N.p., 2014. Web. 18 Oct. 2017.


The author's comments:

This is a piece on the development of artificial intelligence and the effects it might have on humanity