Loving Yourself | Teen Ink

Loving Yourself

October 27, 2017
By Anonymous

There are things about yourself that you wish you could change. Your hair, eyes, weight, height, voice, teeth, smile, laugh, ect. People always pick on you about those things, so you really feel like you have no choice but to hate yourself for those things. Your friends expect you to love yourself, even though you feel like you’re completely worthless. You can never say negative things around them, because they’ll only get mad at you, or will just tell you that you’re wrong. You most likely think they are just saying that, because they are your friends.

I sometimes feel like my friends are lying to me when they say I’m pretty. I feel like I look so bad, and my friends are just trying to make me feel better about myself.

It’s not easy to just love yourself. You don’t just go to sleep one night, and wake up the next morning and love yourself all of a sudden. It takes time to love yourself. We all have our good qualities, but some of us just don’t see them. Being bullied makes it even harder to love who you are, because you have people constantly making fun of your looks, or the things you do. Your personality is one of the main things, that makes you, you. That’s also one of the most common things people like to make fun of about a person.

I always get made fun of for my personality. People always say I’m too loud, or that I’m not funny.

Self love is the best love. We all make mistakes, and hate ourselves for it. We get hurt, and then blame ourselves for it. If a relationship doesn’t work out, you’ll automatically blame yourself for the break up, thinking you weren’t pretty enough, funny enough, tall/short enough, ect. If you keep blaming yourself for things you couldn’t stop, you begin to hate yourself even more. We all make mistakes, it’s a part of being human. We all do it, some make worse mistakes than others, but we all have our fair share of really bad mistakes.

I’ve made so many mad mistakes, but I eventually forgive myself for them. It’s okay that I made those mistakes, I just can’t let it happen again.

Making yourself happy is important, you don’t need other people in order to be happy. Do things that you love, find something that you’ll look forward to doing every single day. We all have people that love, and care about us. We just need to also love and care about ourselves too. It’s hard to do sometimes, but you have to learn to do it, if you want to live a happy life. People will always find something about you to make fun of, all you can do is move past it, and don’t let it affect you.

For the longest time I thought I needed someone else to complete me, but that’s not true at all. You are the only thing you need, you have to learn that.

Be you, and don’t let people change who you are. You’re one of a kind, and should embrace that. If we were all the same, life would be boring. If someone doesn’t like you, it’s okay, you don’t need everyone to like you. You’ll find friends who love who you are, and will respect you. Someday you’ll finally realize how amazing you truly are, it may be days, weeks, months, or even years from now.

Having good friends does help boost my confidence, and you need to fill yourself with nice/supportive people.

Enjoy your life, be crazy, go wild. Be whatever you want to be, don’t let anyone stop you. Learn to love yourself, because you’re perfect, just the way you are.