Proud To Be an American | Teen Ink

Proud To Be an American

October 4, 2017
By Jacob_Johnson24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jacob_Johnson24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Patriotism is about remembrance and honor. It is about soldiers who defended our country and fought so we can live in peace. I was six years old, at my grandpa’s cabin sitting at the campfire my grandpa began telling us a story about Vietnam. My grandpa was a radio operator and one night him and his squad set up camp in the  jungle, they couldn't sleep because of the noises from outside the camp, knowing that the Vietcong were watching them. The bushes ruffled and the trees dwindled in the wind, and like a Jack rabbit coming out of a prairie fire the Vietnamese came out of the jungle firing their weapons at him and his squad. He said all he remembers is holding his 1 lost squadmate. He told me how this day will “Forever be engraved in my head.” He still has nightmares about what he saw, he wishes his name never got put into the draft. I am proud to be an American!

Patriotism is about being proud and grateful. Having the ability to stand every day and say the Pledge of Allegiance knowing I am in the safest place possible. It is to honor those who have laid down their lives so I could even write this essay. I am proud to say that my grandpa spent days and nights in Vietnam so that others and I can live in peace. My grandpas’ favorite quote to this day is “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country” by president JFK. I am proud to be an American!

Patriotism means to stand up for your nation when the rest of the world wants to tear it down. Its understanding that our nation was built on a solid foundation created by generations before us and it is our responsibility to keep it at the top. My grandpa fought for our country because he felt he had to give back for the people who fought for him when he was younger. I am proud to be an American!