Strength, Security, and Sacrifice | Teen Ink

Strength, Security, and Sacrifice

By Kittens17 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Kittens17 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Strength: beneficial quality or attribute of a person or thing. Strength lies in our country’s growth and progress. We see bravery and courage. Nainoa K. Hoe died in Iraq. His father, Allen Hoe, said, “My son was a warrior.  He absolutely recognized all of the risks that were involved.”

Security: the state of being free from danger or threat. Returning home to a warm bed and knowing you are protected from harm or knowing that you can ask someone for help without feeling ashamed is security. Elmer Davis, a vet, arrives home from service and feels safe enough to sleep through the night. He said, “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long it is the home of the brave.”. 

Sacrifice: the act of giving something up for another. A mother trades spending time with her kids for work. Soldiers leave their loved ones to fight for their country, saying goodbye to the things they love to and protect them. This quote is from the whisper app, an anonymous confessions website: “The truth is I left a part of myself in Iraq and will never be the same.”

Patriotism: devoted love, support, and defence of one's country. It’s the security you feel when you see your family and friends, and it’s the sacrifices you make to keep what you have.  It is the strength our veterans show in sacrificing what they have to defend our country and the Days devoted to celebrating them. We would not live in the world we do today if not for the veterans that have given their lives for this country. “Patriotism is not short, frenzied, outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”-Adlai Stevenson, United States Vice President (1893-1897). 

Definitions of Strength, Security, and Sacrifice from Dictionary.com

This piece is about what Patriotism means to me.